X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: I need help beating my tendency to procrastinate

Originally posted by Darius871

meth
    I recommend beer. It makes the problems magically disappear.

Comment

Originally posted by LotC

I've heard that advice for laziness and procrastination before. It's something I've meant to do for many years now, but I've just never bothered.

Bother! If your levels are low and you take levothyroxine you will have alot of extra energy. If they aren't low...well then maybe it's circulation. There's lots of supplements you can take for that. Often if your hands and or feet get cold easy you have one of these problems.
      Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Unbelievable!

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: I need help beating my tendency to procrastinate

What, do you know this from close personal experience?
          My ex-wife.
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
            Heraclites, I've been meaning to tell you all about my surefire method of ending procrastination.

I'll get to it soon.
            While funny, I doubt this is is the right place for the joke.

Heraclitus, I also suffered from a mild version of procrastination from time to time, it seems to be a temporary thing however and I was always able to pull the ripcord about in time, albeit I maybe lost a semester at university due to this in my first university year.

My advice: MAKE KIDS. If you can't force you to start something, you a) have a good excuse; b) you soon want to flee from your parental work and would do ANY work (procrastination generally needs some idle time in first place; you won't have one); c) your personality stabilizes considerably (at least mine did) because of this responsability. A family makes happy, if you have the right partner, of course. My rare anxiety attacks I had have vanished completely, procrastination is much better now that I have family.
            No real help? Sorry, but that was what helped in my case, anyway.

Beside this, I think Kid's avdvice with setting a clock is a good idea, but it still requires discipline. You must not allow you, ever, to put it on snooze. If you do, the method is wasted.
            "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
            "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Heraclitus, I know where you are coming from as this is a particular blight in my life too (contrary to popular belief, I am not perfect!).

I don't have it as bad as you in any way, but I know with a virtual certainty that I would be a multi millionaire by now, instead of merely comfortably well off.

My biggest problem is that all too often my procrastination is actually rewarded!

Take the other day, it was only a bottle of wine that I'd bought half price. The first bottle was corked and I should have asked for a refund with my receipt, but I just got fobbed off with a replacement because it was an easier process that took less time. So, months later I finally open the new bottle and guess what? It's corked!

I don't have the receipt this time, but that's no problem with supermarkets generally and in the intervening time the offer has expired and I'm given a full price refund! Sure I only 'made' £5 on the deal, but my procrastination was rewarded!

A few months back it was a new power shower I bought on sale but didn't read the instructions so needed to take it back within a month for a refund. But no, why not procrastinate for over three months instead... In the meantime the half price offer had ended and the shower in question had been upgrade by the company. In the end I could only get a credit note for the day, however the item in question was no longer half price and the new model was listed as being more expensive and I actually made about £110 on the deal...

This isn't a 'look at me and all the money I've made', because it is obviously peanuts - but the point is that for me, procrastination is all too frequently rewarded!

Anyway, not exactly helping you there...

Routine is what seems to work for me, and lists - but then my secondary problem is seemingly being addicted to 'deadline-itis'...

Why do something weeks in advance when you can get off on the stress caused by having to do something at the very last minute...?
              Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Ooh, great story!

Back when I was an illegal alien in NZ, I had to get road tax for my car but kept forgetting to put in on for about two weeks and then my car was stolen...

So after filing a police report to state that my car was stolen I was able to send off for a refund on my road tax...

Over a year later I had to go into a police station for some reason and was politely told there was a warrant out for my arrest - due to an unpaid parking fine!

Apparently the people that stole my car left it somewhere I could get fined, but I'd moved so all the letters went unanswered and I had a massive fine hanging over my head!

Easy, I thought. Mention the stolen car report. Nope the police didn't have one, they had wiped it from their records. So now it was a case of my word against theirs and a court case - guilty until proven innocent and all that...

Then I remembered the road tax refund, which I could only get because of the copy of the police report I'd sent in at the time...

Moral of the story: If I hadn't procrastinated over putting the road tax sticker on my car, I wouldn't have been able to prove I'd filed a police report and I would have had to pay a massive fine (back when I was really poor)...

As it was I still had to attend court, which was actually quite an interesting experience when you are armed with a '**** off you incompetent and overly bureaucratic wankers' card...
                Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I need help beating my tendency to procrastinate

Originally posted by Kidicious
                  My ex-wife.
                  Well, evidently she was a weak enough person to succumb to addiction. That doesn't affect Heraclitus' ability to use responsibly if he so chooses.
                  Unbelievable!

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I need help beating my tendency to procrastinate

Well, evidently she was a weak enough person to succumb to addiction. That doesn't affect Heraclitus' ability to use responsibly if he so chooses.
                    That's over the line. But I think it's worse that you are even jokingly suggesting that someone take a very dangerous drug.

Comment

I've jokingly suggested people jump off a cliff before.
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
                        I've jokingly suggested people jump off a cliff before.
                        That's sort of funny. IN A PROPER CONTEXT!

Comment

I'm sorry, but what would be the "proper context" for my comments, joking or not? And how does it differ from this context?
                          Unbelievable!

Comment

Well that's the thing about getting advice here. You don't really know who these people are. They could be sitting there smoking meth typing responses to your thread. Or maybe they have someone tied up in the basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                              Well that's the thing about getting advice here. You don't really know who these people are. They could be sitting there smoking meth typing responses to your thread. Or maybe they have someone tied up in the basement.
                              Well you're right about one thing. I'll leave it up to you to guess which.
                              Unbelievable!

Comment

Working...
                              X