I need help beating my tendency to procrastinate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help beating my tendency to procrastinate

From almost six months this has been a problem, and its getting worse. I'm having real anxiety attacks when I try to start tasks. It's horrible.

Does anyone on poly have any advice? Please?
    Last edited by Heraclitus; March 4, 2008, 13:53.
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

a typo? In this simple sentence. Damm, I'm falling appart here!

/I'm refering to the missing "to" in the title/
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

What kind of tasks? School work?

Comment

Fixed the typo, though you also badly misspelled procrastinate ... I left that in since you may have intended it.

You can always edit your own thread titles for I think the first ~5 minutes of your thread existing (just edit the post title).
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV
          What kind of tasks? School work?

I've always had a problem with that, and yes it has gotten much worse. But its not only about that, today I'm having a whole crisis over sending a formal emali to someone I don't kow, half a week ago I just stayed in my room for the entire day delaying any task that took more than a few miunutes, and feeling miserable all the time.

Comment

Re: I need help beating my tendency procrastinatinate

Originally posted by Heraclitus
            From almost six months this has been a problem, and its getting worse. I'm having real anxiety attacks when I try to start tasks. It's horrible.

Does anyone on poly have any advice? Please?
            The best way to stop worrying is not to start. When you start to do a task don't worry about the outcome.

How bad are the attacks? Are we talking panic attacks here?
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

It's your conscience torturing you because Slovenia is blocking Croatia's EU entry

Comment

Don't rush into this. Be sure and think it over.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Re: Re: I need help beating my tendency procrastinatinate

Originally posted by Kidicious

The best way to stop worrying is not to start. When you start to do a task don't worry about the outcome.

How bad are the attacks? Are we talking panic attacks here?
                  Severe anxiety, I think about starting a task, look at the time and decide to postpone it for 20 or so minutes while I do something different. I feel pressure and guilt, but repeat this, chaining it for hours until external factors break the cycle (other people calling me or talking to me). Sometimes I “reboot” after these interactions and can have a productive day, otherwise I waste it. Then I postpone going to sleep thinking I’ll do something about it. This is terrible since if I oversleep this is a sure trigger for a new wasted day.

I have devastating panic attacks followed by apathy if contemplating important tasks, or realizations that I have irrevocably missed an opportunity to do something of that nature and that it will have negative consequences in a matter of a few moths/weeks/days.

Comment

Flee this place.

-Arrian
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                      Flee this place.

-Arrian

Its quite disturbing how good an advice that is.

Comment

Gather your facts and make a decision. The only automatically wrong decision is no decision.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Interestingly, reading new posts on apolyton is one of the “filler” things I do. How can I leave poly Arrian? Tell me Arrian! Please!

Comment

I'll get back to you tomorrow....

Seriously, don't think about the task you have to complete as a whole - maybe you feel anxiety about having to do this "big thing."

Break it down into more manageable pieces, and do it step by step.
                            Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                            Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                            One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Re: Re: Re: I need help beating my tendency procrastinatinate

Originally posted by Heraclitus
                              Severe anxiety, I think about starting a task, look at the time and decide to postpone it for 20 or so minutes while I do something different. I feel pressure and guilt, but repeat this, chaining it for hours until external factors break the cycle (other people calling me or talking to me). Sometimes I “reboot” after these interactions and can have a productive day, otherwise I waste it. Then I postpone going to sleep thinking I’ll do something about it. This is terrible since if I oversleep this is a sure trigger for a new wasted day.

I have devastating panic attacks followed by apathy if contemplating important tasks, or realizations that I have irrevocably missed an opportunity to do something of that nature and that it will have negative consequences in a matter of a few moths/weeks/days.
                              If you do start to have a panic attack go to the doctor, but then you probably won't need to be told that. Panic attacks are very frightening. I had one before.

My suggestion to you is to monitor the thoughts in your head when you have to do a task. Are they negative thoughts? Well of course they are. Try to eleminate these thoughts.

Now if you can't do that don't let that cause you anxiety, because sometimes people can't. But just keep trying to eliminate those negative thoughts on a consistant basis.

Also, there are probably things you do to escape from your responsibilities. It's ok to do these things but set yourself on a time limit for those things. Don't let the whole day pass escaping from your responsibilities.
                              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Working...
                              X