No announcement yet.

Tanks are Rolling. Troops are Marching.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tanks are Rolling. Troops are Marching.

From BBC America:

Colombia neighbours deploy troops

Venezuela ordered the deployment of 10 battalions
    Ecuador and Venezuela have moved troops to their borders with Colombia in an escalating row over the killing of a Farc rebel leader in Ecuador.

Ecuador and Venezuela have also both expelled Colombian diplomats.

Colombian troops entered Ecuador on Saturday in a raid that killed Colombian rebel leader Raul Reyes.

Colombia's foreign minister said he regretted that troops had to cross the border, but said it had been necessary "in the fight against terrorism".

"The Colombian government has never wanted to disrespect or violate the sovereignty or integrity of the sister republic of Ecuador," Fernando Araujo said.

A spokesman for Colombian President Alvaro Uribe said that during the raid, troops had found documents that provided information that "[Ecuadorean President Correa] has a relationship and commitments with Farc",

Police commander Gen Oscar Naranjo said one document showed Reyes had met Ecuador's minister of internal security and that they discussed Mr Correa's "interest in making official relations with the Farc".

Killing lamented

On Sunday, Mr Correa announced the expulsion of Colombia's ambassador in Ecuador.

The Ecuadorean president also said he was calling for an immediate meeting of the Organization of American States and the Andean Community of Nations.

Spain and a number of Latin American countries including Mexico, Argentina and Brazil have offered to mediate in the dispute.

Speaking on his weekly television show, President Chavez said Venezuela's embassy in Bogota would close.

He lamented the killing of Reyes - whom he called a "good revolutionary" - when he spoke on his show, "Alo, Presidente".

Mr Chavez has been mediating with the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia - or Farc - to secure the release of hostages the rebels hold, and six have so far been freed under this initiative.

'Violated'

Colombia's defence minister had described the death of Reyes as the "biggest blow so far" to Farc.

But Mr Chavez described the strike as "a cowardly murder, all of it coldly calculated". He said Colombia had "invaded Ecuador, flagrantly violated Ecuador's sovereignty".

Mr Chavez addressed his defence minister, asking him to "move 10 battalions to the border with Colombia for me, immediately" - a deployment likely to involve several thousand soldiers. "The air force should mobilise. We do not want war. But we are not going to let them... come and divide and weaken us."

Colombia's government has received billions of dollars in aid from Washington to fight the guerrillas - as the US, along with the EU, views Farc as a terrorist organisation.

Colombian troops have recently retaken control of areas previously held by rebel groups, but Farc retains a strong hold over Colombia's more remote regions.

Go Colombia!

Comment

Seriously, Ecuador knew FARC was using their territory as a base but chose not to do anything about it. As usual Chavez is just grandstanding; he'll do anything for attention.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

South American version of the recent Israeli-Lebanese war/whatever?

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Man, what a miscalculation attacking Colombia would be
          "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
            Man, what a miscalculation attacking Colombia would be
            Why, what is the US going to do?
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I think the point is the Colombian economy solely generates:

* Drugs -> more money
              * Money -> more guns
              * Guns -> more drugs

It's a cyclical thing and ends up generating huge numbers of guns... so Venezuela might end up with more than it can handle (and certainly Ecuador would).
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Why, what is the US going to do?
                Topple Chavez.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                  I think the point is the Colombian economy solely generates:

* Drugs -> more money
                  * Money -> more guns
                  * Guns -> more drugs

It's a cyclical thing and ends up generating huge numbers of guns... so Venezuela might end up with more than it can handle (and certainly Ecuador would).
                  FARC controls a good deal of that action.
                  I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                  - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Venezuela would get owned. Colombians are crazy in uniform and out. It takes a special kind of people to murder members of their own national football team for losing a match.

Comment

I think Colombia has 45 million people, Venezuela 27 million and Ecuador 10 million.

If the war were Venezuela + Ecuador vs Colombia it would be interesting, Venezuela because of the oil is much wealthier than Colombia, they have a bigger gdp altough the population is much smaller.

Also, the Venezuelan military is quite good, and it is the only leftist military in south america, they are left wing nationalists.

When Franco was alive ETA used to hide in France (that even has happened till not so long ago), and the French would do nothing about it. Even if FARC was hiding in the Ecuatorian jungle, Colombia shouldnt have invaded Ecuatorian territory to hunt the terrorists.

If Ecuador werent much weaker than Colombia, I think they would have declared war, and it wouldnt be unjustified.

Chavez certainly will not tolerate an expeditionn of Colombian forces into venezuelan territory, it would be war 100%
                      I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV
                        Venezuela would get owned. Colombians are crazy in uniform and out. It takes a special kind of people to murder members of their own national football team for losing a match.

Colombians and Venezuelans are pretty much the same, like Austrians and Germans

The same goes for Peru-Ecuador-Bolivia, and Argentina-Uruguay
                        I need a foot massage

Comment

How is this action viewed generally in your part of the world? Any sympathy for Colombia's actions?

I have the feeling that internally, Colombia's actions were very popular and proof that Ecuador was at least turning a blind eye to FARC using its territory, and at worst nurturing it.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I think the issue of Ecuador actively supporting FARC may have given Colombia a valid justification, however. Obviously the power relationship defines whether this is possible or not - view the Turkish invasion of Iraq for precisely the same reason, for example - but I don't think it's entirely unjustified. Heck, it's the same thing the US did to Afghanistan... I bet you could find examples of this throughout history (or at least relatively modern history).
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I hate FARC and I wish Colombia would exterminate them all

But no one likes a neighbour country´s army making surprise raids in your territory.

And I dont think Ecuador supports FARC, it is completely possible that FARC was there and that the Ecuador gov knew nothing about it, it is all jungle, no one lives there.
                              I need a foot massage

Comment

Working...
                              X