HA HA! Take that Chavez!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agathon

Pathetic lawyer's trick question. Is it a proper democracy with a free vote? Tick box A or B.
    No trick. Just curious. So no company should do business in or with China at the moment on your view-- or with about half of Africa . . .
    Ya the lack of any outside investment-- that would really help those people

Originally posted by Agathon

You can't expropriate what is already yours.
    Pathetic commie turn of phrase-- How plants, pipes compressors, dehys, etc etc are "already yours" when someone else built them at great cost boggles my mind
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
      How plants, pipes compressors, dehys, etc etc are "already yours" when someone else built them at great cost boggles my mind

QFT. Chavez should have used the American approach: Take the land using eminent domain, and pay the owners a fraction of what it's worth.

Comment

Pathetic commie turn of phrase-- How plants, pipes compressors, dehys, etc etc are "already yours" when someone else built them at great cost boggles my mind
        So Ford trucks belong to the people who built them?
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious

So Ford trucks belong to the people who built them?
          No -- They belong to the people or entity that paid to have them built until such time as such owners sell them to someone else.
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

No -- They belong to the people or entity that paid to have them built until such time as such owners sell them to someone else.
            I thought you might be attaching significance to the fact that things were built that were nationalized.

Comment

Let's go this way with it.

Do you think Exxon knew that their investment carried the risk of nationalization when they made it?

Comment

I know that living in Chicago carries the risk of being robbed/mugged/killed, but does that make the robbing/mugging/killing justified/allowable/okay?
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                  I know that living in Chicago carries the risk of being robbed/mugged/killed, but does that make the robbing/mugging/killing justified/allowable/okay?
                  Venezuela's actions were legal.

Comment

Only in the sense that the Venezuelan government makes the law in Venezuela, so they can make anything they do legal...

They weren't legal by most countries' definition.

Comment

• Cue Godwin.

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369
                        Only in the sense that the Venezuelan government makes the law in Venezuela, so they can make anything they do legal...

They weren't legal by most countries' definition.
                        And the US can make any law they wish... Your point?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious

I have 2.

1. The fact that a country can make ANY law they wish does not mean they should. Use your imagination of the wide variety of laws a sovereign country COULD make--( Oh and as a first law repeal all constitutional protections to do with any rights of your citizenry) Then go from there

2. Since the US can 'pass any law they wish", I think they should apply reciprocity to any any nation state that seizes stuff like Ven did. They in turn would seize say Citgo and aggrieved US corps could sue or apply for compensation from the proceeds. Why SHOULD't the US due to venezuela what Venezuela was doing to the US

Comment

In my example, the things I listed were illegal by most standards. In yours, the seizing was illegal by most standards. Thus, equivalent...

Comment

Let's go this way with it.

Do you think Exxon knew that their investment carried the risk of nationalization when they made it?
                              There are all kinds of risks-- Knowing they exist does not mean that it is right to bring them to fruition.

As to legality. A nation state could pass a law staing that IMMEDIATELY all foreign workers were illegal and were to be executed. Its a stupid law-- ludicrous in the extreme but it could be "legal"-- Would you support that as a risk people take when they work in a foreign country

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber

But you're thinking rationally. Don't you know to be a good commie means you have to stop doing that?
                                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                                X