Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OzzyKP
    Forcing students to learn Spanish.

Forcing students to learn math, history, science, and literature.

Giving students (and parents too...I guess) a choice.
    Why stop there...

Forcing students to read.

Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Is this a joke? Seriously.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I've thought English was the official language of the US&A...
        Anyway, call these people racists, but if they don't want to learn the language of a country with an inferior economy, why make them? They choose, they lose.
        Graffiti in a public toilet
        Do not require skill or wit
        Among the **** we all are poets
        Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious

Is this a joke? Seriously.
          Ozzy thinks 10 year olds are able to determine what skills they will need in the future, and have an acceptable understanding of the 'big picture' in order to choose to learn those skills...
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Yeah, we should let kids decide whether or not they should go to school, and what to do when they're there (if they go). Brilliant.

Some would make good choices, yes. The vast majority would not, and our descent into idiocracy would accelerate.

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera
              I've thought English was the official language of the US&A...
              Anyway, call these people racists, but if they don't want to learn the language of a country with an inferior economy, why make them? They choose, they lose.
              1. No, English is not the official language. We simply don't have one. It is the de facto language, obviously.

2. That line of reasoning leads to Ozzy's conclusion: don't force anyone to learn anything. They choose, they lose, right?

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

10 year olds should already have been voting for 5 years.
                "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Krill

Being lazy and choosing to not learn anything useful and getting a McJob
                  And that's different from the millions of people who get McJobs currently who have gone through 10-12 years of school that bored the hell out of them and wasted their time?

How many people here have jobs that they learned how to do in elementary school or high school?

I seriously doubt Ming learned some great advertising skills in 10th grade biology class. Or that Asher learned computer skills in 11th grade English class.

Schools don't prepare people for life. If anything they prepare people to be teachers. If all you learn in life is what you learned at school you are a profoundly dumb and helpless individual. Most people learn more real, practical life skills voluntarily outside of the classroom. Society has not collapsed because of it. People DO learn outside of school and there is a great deal of evidence that they learn better.

But of course some people DO learn better in school. But why should they waste their time with subjects they aren't interested in and that will just frustrate them for a few months until they forget it all 5 minutes after taking the final exam.

Ever watched "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?" There are a great number of things we "learned" in school, but we weren't interested in the subject, never applied that knowledge, so we lost it.

Cut out all that wasted time, allow those who don't wish to be there (and would end up with a McJob regardless) leave, and you'll have a lot more resources left over to actually make schools good for those who want to be there and want to learn the subjects they want to take.
                  Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

why should they waste their time with subjects they aren't interested in and that will just frustrate them for a few months until they forget it all 5 minutes after taking the final exam.

Cause you really don't know what you are interested in and what you aren't before you take it? Besides, basic math and English is instrumental in many jobs. Asher, I'm sure has to write reports in his job as a computer scientist for one.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyKP
                      But why should they waste their time with subjects they aren't interested in and that will just frustrate them for a few months until they forget it all 5 minutes after taking the final exam.
                      Because either they are crackheads or their parents are crackheads or both. They are too stupid to know what they have to learn and most of them don't give a ****.

That's the way it is. People have to go to work and do what they are told and they have to go to school and learn what the teacher says to learn.
                      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• I wouldn't be against less structure in the curriculum towards the end (high school). And indeed, there was some flexibility in mine - we did get to pick some electives. I'd be ok with looking at expanding that.

But in elementary school? Come on.

-Arrian

Comment

• Yep, if people learned only the things they want to learn very soon we would have a large percentage of the next generation growing up as analphabets, unable to do the simples arithmetics and adamantlöy believing that god or some other creature has made the universe 6k years ago.
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• [q="OzzyKP"]Schools don't prepare people for life. [/q]

Schools prepare people for life, not for work. Schools:
                            1. Teach you how to learn new things.
                            2. Teach you how to get along with others.
                            3. Teach you a range of subjects so you can choose what to continue.
                            4. Make sure you're not a complete idiot...

Biology class in HS doesn't teach you anything job-related, whether you go into Advertising or go on to become an MD. It teaches you the basic things you should know so that you're not a complete ****wad who thinks the earth is flat and AIDS is transmissable by touch.

School, until College, is NOT FOCUSED ON GETTING YOU A JOB. It gets you the basic skills you need for ANY job - writing, arithmetic, etc. - plus the basic things you should know so you're not a complete moron; all along the way teaching you other things as well, how to learn and get along with others. College and technical/vocational schools teach you how to get a job.

There are plenty of Vocational HS's out there, also, for those who want to learn a trade - but they still learn basic science and history and such.

Don't blame the concept of Education for boring kids. Blame the teachers and school systems who don't teach well or interestingly. School can, and should, be interesting and a great learning experience. Some people don't like it - most at that age - but the development you get from it is vital to being a functional adult.
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyKP

And that's different from the millions of people who get McJobs currently who have gone through 10-12 years of school that bored the hell out of them and wasted their time?

How many people here have jobs that they learned how to do in elementary school or high school?

I seriously doubt Ming learned some great advertising skills in 10th grade biology class. Or that Asher learned computer skills in 11th grade English class.

Schools don't prepare people for life. If anything they prepare people to be teachers. If all you learn in life is what you learned at school you are a profoundly dumb and helpless individual. Most people learn more real, practical life skills voluntarily outside of the classroom. Society has not collapsed because of it. People DO learn outside of school and there is a great deal of evidence that they learn better.

But of course some people DO learn better in school. But why should they waste their time with subjects they aren't interested in and that will just frustrate them for a few months until they forget it all 5 minutes after taking the final exam.

Ever watched "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?" There are a great number of things we "learned" in school, but we weren't interested in the subject, never applied that knowledge, so we lost it.

Cut out all that wasted time, allow those who don't wish to be there (and would end up with a McJob regardless) leave, and you'll have a lot more resources left over to actually make schools good for those who want to be there and want to learn the subjects they want to take.
                              For 10 year olds? WTF Ozzy
                              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• Don't blame the concept of Education for boring kids. Blame the teachers and school systems who don't teach well or interestingly.
                                And, more importantly, the anti-intellectual culture in this country. And the parents... like this girl's idiot mom.

-Arrian

Comment

Working...
                                X