Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I do NOT have to respect your beliefs! (rant)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cort Haus
    I for one, Elok, am hugely appreciative that you've stopped stoning us, and I think you're all splendid fellows for it.

Many thanks.
    No verbal thanks needed, it takes a lot of energy to throw those heavy rocks anyway. Just don't buy any Dawkins or Hitchens books (I doubt whether they persuade any religious people to be atheist, they're just giving ammo to the fundies), and we'll call it even.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus

Some of us don't don't need such tools.

Did you get that new clown-suit btw?
      There was a recall on the shoes.....

ACK!
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
        Just don't buy any Dawkins or Hitchens books
        No plans to. Especially that war-mongering troll Hitchens.

Comment

Re: I do NOT have to respect your beliefs! (rant)

Originally posted by Omni Rex Draconis

I may not respect his beliefs, but I am willing to respect him.

But some days it is hard, you know?
          No. You should slay him and his kin, burn down his house, and salt the lawn.
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

What the dickens does it matter if the guy doesn't believe anyone walked on the moon?
            Other than the obvious displeasure I feel at working with people whose mental processes are broken, it doesn't matter. I apologize for the length of the rant, but if you make to the end you will see that this is the conclusion I reached, as well.

And I, too, am very glad that you have stopped stoning us. Although, as a clever atheist I was much more likely to burned at the stake for saying something stupid like "Wanna see something cool?"

Why not cite Malta?
            Hmmm... 98% Catholic? Would have if I saw it; I was just taking the highest percentages.

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
            I'm not sure what your beef is with Catholicism.
            Catholicism in particular? Probably the authority structure. My essential argument against religion is how it assumes authority and knowledge when it has exactly none. If anyone else on the planet declared themselves to be infallible, even on just one subject, they would be branded as a megalomaniac. When the Pope starts pulling pompous and self-aggrandizing pronouncements out his pointy hat, I tend to get upset.

Originally posted by Theben
            No. You should slay him and his kin, burn down his house, and salt the lawn.
            Funny you should mention his kin. The second fool I met in my story is actually cousin to the first. Maybe this thing is genetic.

Such drastic measures are not necessary, however. I am forcing through a change in position at work (on unrelated matters), so I will soon not have to worry about future shocks to my sanity.
            Long live the Dead Threads!!

Comment

No one will ever read the loser OP, but one thing remains clear, there is no evidence the Russians successfully launched anything into space except for a dog, which immediately vaporized into the atmosphere. How that was considered a cold war victory for them was never explained to me by any professor, but from where I am, they embarrassed themselves.

Comment

It shouldn't be too long before some of the satellites being sent to the moon will be able to image the landing sites. I wonder how the hoaxers will respond?

Comment

Geronimo, we're talking about asshats. Why would they believe satellites, or even that satellites exist?
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

The satellites are obviously funded and launched by conspirators who implanted fake images in the data streams.
                    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

See?
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Omni Rex Draconis

They are mentioned, but not condemned. The dog has traditionally been seen as unclean in Arab culture, but most moderate Muslims have no problem with dogs.
                        Well, some dogs have been known to eat poop. Speaking of which, I wonder how popular Triumph the comic dog is in Saudi Arabia? I wonder what would happen if someone managed to hijack the signal from al-Jazera and put on a 24 hour Triumph marathon?
                        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
                          How that was considered a cold war victory for them was never explained to me by any professor
                          I'll bite. (I've had enough to drink.) From what I learned, it showed they could deliver a nuclear warhead to the USA with a missle.
                          "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
                          —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

Fake moon landings
                            Real moon landings

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                              Are there any religious denominations which claim that the moon landings were faked?

I'm not aware that dogs are even mentioned in the Koran. Pigs, yes, but I don't think there is any scriptural condemnation of dogs in the Koran. I could be wrong, does anyone have more information on this?
                              I don't know about the Quran, but Mohammed hated dogs, and called them totally unclean creatures (almost as bad as pigs). You can find the references in the Hadis literature. Islamic clerics throughout history have held this to be the Muslim rule - No Dogs!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                                Are there any religious denominations which claim that the moon landings were faked?
                                Only Presbyterians and Jains, afaik.
                                "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                                X