Best tank, IFV edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patroklos

And how is that different than the light tank AKA support tank of WWII vintage that was abandoned by all sides for the MBT concept soon after?
    Because it's not light. It has an armor of modern MBT but different armament suited for its specific targets.

Comment

So it is a tank with inferior weapons and no infantry capacity?

I think you should explain what the Russians think they are going to use this thing for specifically, it seems an odd hybrid to me.
      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov

Did you ever think that it might be due to limitations in your tanks?

Perhaps, other nation's tanks don't need such toys, because they have better turrets, tracking devices, target acquisition, C4 abilities, and are easily capable to defeat a load of varied targets such as infantry, helcopters, anti-tank vehicles, other tanks etc?

i do have to hand it that none of the israeli weapons are airborne or waterborne, but our reality doesn't require for the conquering of europe
        Blah-blah-blah, I hear this argument whenever we make something unique. Let's come back to this topic in 2028, when your "advanced" engineers will finally realise the need for such class of combat vehicles and be busy making their own poor copies of our designs.
        Last edited by Serb; January 23, 2008, 15:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
          So it is a tank with inferior weapons and no infantry capacity?

I think you should explain what the Russians think they are going to use this thing for specifically, it seems an odd hybrid to me.
          You want me to post the same links twice?
          Very well.

The combat vehicle features armor protection equal to that of the battle tank and powerful armament capable of neutralizing and defeating antiarmor-capable targets and manpower, and operates in a common battle formation.These features help significantly increase combat effectiveness of tank units and decrease their losses from enemy close-combat assets.

Все направления боевых искусств предназначены не для нападения, они были созданы великими мастерами исключительно с целью самозащиты. Наши тренеры-консультанты расскажут в своих блогах о том, как правильно обороняться, а в библиотеке видео файлов вы сможете просмотреть обучающие записи приемам самообороны

When used in urban terrain the BMPT is employed on a 2 to 1 ratio meaning 2 BMPT:s protecting one MBT. In rural operations the ratio is 1 to 2 which means that one BMPT is protecting 2 MBT:s. This results from the complexity of fighting in urban terrain and the need for a versatile anti-personnel machine that can engage multiple targets at once and on different height levels. The introduction of such a vehicle makes urban fighting less stressful on tanks and can relieve them of some workload in order to concentrate on their main objective of engaging tanks and hardened targets in support of infantry.

Any other questions?

Comment

Blah-blah-blah, I hear this argument whenever we make something unique. Let's come back to this topic in 2028, when your "advanced" engineers will finally realise the need for such class of combat vehicles and be busy making their own poor copies of our designs.
            way to go on circumventing the argument
            go work in improving your tank turrets' maneuverability

Comment

It seems odd to me that a tank needs two of these bodyguards in urban ops.
              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
              Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
              One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

I think it basically provides the tank an auto canon which is much more apporpriate than a MBT main gun in urban enviroments in the vast majority of cases.

So that begs the question, why not just sent BMPTXYZWHATEVER into urban areas without the tank and be done with it?
                "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Re: Re: Best tank, IFV edition

Originally posted by Serb

Good for you! It's my pleasure to knowthat while you are still trying to make something better than our IFVs, we have an entirely new concept - BMPT. It's Tank Support Fighting Vehicle. Nobody else has such toys.

That's about 50 years after the US Army Dude.

Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Best tank, IFV edition

Originally posted by Lonestar

That's about 50 years after the US Army Dude.
                    The "pig" is just a lightly armored "hit&run" sort of TD.

Comment

Re: Re: Best tank, IFV edition

Serb, that is one very impressive looking piece of hardware. Make sure you train your guys to get down when it fires, ok?

Originally posted by Serb

Good for you! It's my pleasure to knowthat while you are still trying to make something better than our IFVs, we have an entirely new concept - BMPT. It's Tank Support Fighting Vehicle. Nobody else has such toys.

Long time member @ Apolyton
                      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Best tank, IFV edition

Originally posted by onodera

I was under impression that Bradley is a tank support fighting vehicle as well.
                        The Bradley Fighting Vehicle is basically an infantry fighting vehicle. It keeps the infantry protected and speeding along with the tanks while also having light weapons of its own to engage the enemy or provide supporting fire.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Serb - you forgot to address some of my questions.

I'm frankly interested to know where the BMP-3/4 and BMPT were used in combat zones - what were their successes / shortcomings.

I also hope you have some more information regarding command and control possibilities of your bronitechnika.

Comment

Honestly, the most interesting fight (and most likely, while still rather unlikely) between serious IFV would be China's ZBD-97 versus India's Abhay. It's also the fight least likely be to be spoiled by indirect fires.
                            "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                            "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                            "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                            "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Best tank, IFV edition

Originally posted by Oerdin

The Bradley Fighting Vehicle is basically an infantry fighting vehicle. It keeps the infantry protected and speeding along with the tanks while also having light weapons of its own to engage the enemy or provide supporting fire.
                              And Bradley-3, the Cavalry Support Vehicle? (Damn, this American use of the word "cavalry" cracks me up every time.)
                              Graffiti in a public toilet
                              Do not require skill or wit
                              Among the **** we all are poets
                              Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Best tank, IFV edition

Originally posted by onodera

And Bradley-3, the Cavalry Support Vehicle? (Damn, this American use of the word "cavalry" cracks me up every time.)

2d ACR...Toujour Pret!
                                Long time member @ Apolyton
                                Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Working...
                                X