Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Civilization 1 isn't that difficult... is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rah
    I remember my first game, started as the romans, and a few turns into the game a greek chariot showed up and my civ was destroyed. I've gotten better since.
    Better than your brother, at least....

Comment

My first game was a classic "I don't know what I'm doing" story. I didn't know how to change production so I must have built a dozen or so Millitia. Then something (Romans?) landed Legions on my island and killed me. I too have gotten better since.

Comment

Apparently the way to beat emperor is by using a rather disquieting amount of ICS.
        This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

I'm not going to watch 43 minutes of that. I can say that the guy is an amateur just from seeing that didn't sell the palace on the first turn. Man, it's all coming back to me!

And one more thing, these voiceovers are surreal. Do people really do that much moaning and groaning and cursing while playing games? I'm perfectly silent when I play, my face like carved out of stone. Never give the computer any hints at your next move, play it like poker with million dollar stakes.

Comment

I just decided to hate the Zulus, too... my brilliant plan to keep Europe clean from them by placing a city into the Suez and making sure to defend it well backfired when the damned things walked straight into the city which had, and still has, two defenders in it

Hmm... it was 900 BC... I think I'll restart from the 1000 BC autosave...
            This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

They bribed it?

Comment

So far, when I've bribed AI cities, the defenders have gotten bribed with the city. No, the Zulus just walked in right over my phalanxes. I didn't test what would happen if I tried to use the units (still mine) that were left in the city..

Comment

Sounds like a bug. Do you have a screenshot?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                    I used legions, not chariots

JM
                    Legions were weak back then. Chariots, although expensive, were viable warriors up until tanks.
                    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Theben

Legions were weak back then. Chariots, although expensive, were viable warriors up until tanks.
                      legions were 3-1-1 for 20?

chariots were 4-1-2 for 40?

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

ok where teh hell is EoN already?!?

i think he is toying with us

BTW my first Civ game i was teh Aztecs (yellow back then i believe) and i had a huge desert all to myself and i thought that was teh coolist thing! erm... that game didnt go well or last long.
                        Order of the Fly
                        Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller

legions were 3-1-1 for 20?

chariots were 4-1-2 for 40?

JM
                          Correct. The key is the 2x movement for Chariots. That made them the bomb. Legions were simply slow. You can win with them, but it would be more tedious.

Comment

In my first game, I remember defending my city with cannons. I also sentried a cannon unit out in the open somewhere and didn't know how to reactivate it. It was many games before I discovered governments, roadbuilding or irrigation. The first time I got to gunpowder before the game ran out of time was a very proud moment for me.
                            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                              i had it playing in another tab, hearing the voice-over
                              he killed the greeks and then spent 20 minutes searching for other civs with a trireme

He got lucky, and defeated a fortified Phalanx with a militia.

and in my own first game I had a friend helping so it didn't go that bad. played as the french on the world map. managed to build 3 cities, defeated the greeks and fought the russians with chariots and catapults for most of the game. don't remember how it ended. propably didn't end at all.
                              My Words Are Backed With Bad Attitude And VETERAN KNIGHTS!

Comment

I remember a game in which I conquered the Chinese in the north, and there was a mountain range between my new cities and the useless frozen lands. So I built a fort in the mountains and put a rifleman in it, figuring it could handle any barbs that popped up. Wouldn't you know it, they did, and it was HUGE. On top of that, they had two cannons(!!) which I had never seen the barbs have before! My rifleman killed 2 musketeers before the 1st cannon attacked, and the cannon won. I rushed my rifleman from my city into the fort, and it too died the following round. I had 2 cities in the immediate area, and while one was desperately building a tank to deal with them, the other (which had the road leading to the fort) had my last rifleman cowering inside (no walls). The cannon moved along the road, killed my last rifleman, and the next turn entered the city. If you recall, back then barbs generated on land didn't conquer cities, they razed them. So my ex-chinese, size 9 with the Lighthouse city was burned to the ground.

Needless to say, I wasn't happy.
                                I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                                I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Working...
                                X