Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Civilization 1 isn't that difficult... is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilization 1 isn't that difficult... is it?

If you look at the people playing it at Something Awful, it certainly is. The guy who started the thread compensates for learning about overcrowding-caused civil disorder by starting over and never building any irrigation, the premier source of strategic wisdom on the thread was surprised to win the space race (in a test game) at prince, a third of the players are on SNES, and oh, I think all of the videos were done at chieftain. I haven't watched all of them.

I have, however, watched some of them (mostly the DeceasedCrab stuff), and I guess I derive some kind of pleasure from suppressing my urge to yell at the screen.

You might want to check that thread out if you like pain. Or, if you want to show those whippersnappers how the game is played, you could do that. (of course, you'll want to *show* it, not *tell* them what they are doing wrong, otherwise it wouldn't be terribly entertaining)
    This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

My memories of the first 3 games of civ I played are my best. In my first game, I never even figured out how to change governments. In my second, I fought off russian tanks with my cannons (they still ended up winning).

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Same here Jon, I still remember I was greek, I still remember the land I started on and I still remember mining EVERY hill on the planet, even though I only had one city -- thinking I was getting all the resouces from the all the hills

With each passing game I got better, I think about the 10th game I finally got to space.
      be free

Comment

I RTFM'd and won on my first try.

ACK!
        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

In my first game, all I ever built were Militia (didn't know how to get into city view to change teh construction, so it kept building the first build order over and over). I was on Chieftain, though, so I managed to clear off my island, then decided to build "teh Great Wall" by fortifying a line of militia down teh middle

Also, I was like 10 years old.
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

WTF is Something Awful?
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

... I watched the first video...

Intro Music of Civ1...
              Nostalgia!
              bleh

Comment

how is the capturing done? e.g. video from game + audio for user?
                Oh boy, Civilization! A true and classic strategy epic! This could take a while...

we should have tons of videos like that. i feel ashamed.
                Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Polycats or sth like that
                  I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Ask Shiva. He knows all that stuff. I know he knows about DL YouTube. He's a pretty smart fellow.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                      how is the capturing done? e.g. video from game + audio for user?
                      Oh boy, Civilization! A true and classic strategy epic! This could take a while...

we should have tons of videos like that. i feel ashamed.
                      With a program like Fraps probably, it's pretty easy.

I imagine strategy threads would be a lot easier to take in with videos included.
                      Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                      CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                      One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Watching epic failures is part of the Lets Play appeal and fun. Go look at the dwarf fortress threads, disaster and hilarity ensue almost from the start in all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Maquiladora
                          With a program like Fraps probably, it's pretty easy.
                          yeah ok but what about the voiceover? you do it after recording the game? that doubles the time needed (and without taking into account editing)
                          Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Dwarf fortress. Damned short people. I guess b etor was there? gawd, I hate short people.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

i miss EyesofNight
                              Order of the Fly
                              Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Working...
                              X