I'm at work on a saturday :-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm at work on a saturday :-(

This is teh sux. I'm having to come in today and tomorrow to repeat experiments in a desperate attempt to get something to show people for my progress meeting on monday. Four months into this Ph.D. and basic science techniques that I've done dozens of times before as an undergrad fail in my hands.

Anyone going to take pity on me or join me in solidarity about working on weekends?

The one upside? My already relaxed attitude toward health and safety has gotten even more pronounced. Unless I see a danger sign on something, I ain't wearing gloves.
    Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
    -Richard Dawkins

You have my comdolences. I work for an Engineer company, and when the release time is close, a lots of weekends I ougth to work. I remember last year, when I worked 12+ hours every single day in August, and all my friends were in the beach or in vacations and I was the only one working on weekends.

Please don´t get so relaxed about safety, we would not wish you getting sick or whatever.

Good luck and comdolences.
    Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

Ah, don't worry about me getting sick. Most of the stuff would just kill me outright
      Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
      -Richard Dawkins

Comment

That´s even worse Please don´t let your mood to take any unnecesary risk. Otherwise, I would need more oportunities to read your superb Richard Dawkins signature

Now, seriously, take care. Working on Saturdays is horrible, so what we can do is to hope it will be for the best. Good luck!

Comment

Today's To Do list:

Transform harmless e.coli into mutant human gene carrying monsters.

Prepare for tomorrow's task of creating unnatural electrocompotent cells for Extra Mutanty Goodness.

Find a way for my presentation to have more than two slides in it.
          -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild
            Today's To Do list:

Transform harmless e.coli into mutant human gene carrying monsters.

Prepare for tomorrow's task of creating unnatural electrocompotent cells for Extra Mutanty Goodness.

Find a way for my presentation to have more than two slides in it.
            Mutant monsters

Mutanty Goodness

I guess you already tought about this, but can´t you fill in slides with the method of your investigation instead of the output? If you are following any new approach that may make sense and make room for a few more slides.

Comment

Alas, I don't think it would be useful to show slide after slide of seemingly empty agarose gels.

The worst bit isn't that people will be angry with me or frustrated. It's that they will be disappointed. I can stand everything except disappointment.
              -Richard Dawkins

Comment

I'm so sorry Maybe you are being too hard with yourself? Are you sure that 4 months is enough time? Have other people in the same situation got results in such a short timeframe?

Comment

Re: I'm at work on a saturday :-(

You get used to it...
                  Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                  1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Re: I'm at work on a saturday :-(

Originally posted by Starchild
                    Anyone going to take pity on me or join me in solidarity about working on weekends?
                    I'll offer you solidarity, comdrade. I've done a lot of weekend work over the years.

Way back in my early 20's I used to work for Tandy, and I had to go in every saturday morning unpaid to do telephone support.

More recently I've regularly worked weekends to meet deadlines and go-live commitments on data migration projects, though at least I got paid for some of these.

Comment

Re: Re: I'm at work on a saturday :-(

Originally posted by Cort Haus

More recently I've regularly worked weekends to meet deadlines...
                      I'm thinking about going in to work for a couple hours for just this reason.
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I would happily work on saturday/sunday given that choice and possibility to have day off during mon-fri. Weekends are boring, maybe i should start to slip towards alcoholism again..

Comment

Go team deadlines!
                          -Richard Dawkins

Comment

yaroslav, are you a Serbian terrorist wanna be looking for info on the world's end or something? Doleing out condolances while seeking the secrets of mass human suffering? Or not? If not, nevermind. If so

"Have other people in the same situation got results in such a short timeframe?"

Yes! In 4 months YOU TOO can create a hell raising life eating monster in a petree dish!

"I guess you already tought about this, but can´t you fill in slides with the method of your investigation instead of the output? If you are following any new approach that may make sense and make room for a few more slides."
                            Last edited by Lancer; January 19, 2008, 10:31.
                            Long time member @ Apolyton
                            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

While I've got a captive audience, can someone explain to me how North Americans living outside the few dense urban cities (New York, S.F., etc) manage to have a proper drunken night out? Like, in the UK, I routinely pub crawl and club hop thanks to the frequent buses/Tube/or just the fact that we build our cities more compact and I can walk everywhere, including back home.

But I look at a place like L.A. where the car is so undeniably king and I just have no idea how you manage to go out, get drunk and get home without spending a fortune on taxis. Especially if you live in the suburbs (I never recall seeing a bus once when I lived in suburban America).
                              -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Working...
                              X