No announcement yet.

Warner backs bluray, drops HD DVD support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I couldn't find anything on the holiday sales.

I can't read the bottom dates clearly, but the data seems to date back to 9/07. What happened to HD in June? Their sales took a nose dive.

Second graph is units shipped too.

According to the blurb accompanying it, PS3 sales are helping to boost the numbers.

This WB deal looks like it is going to seal HD's fate unless they can come up with something pretty quick. Microsoft backs HD, maybe they have something up their sleeve?

I'm not sure why PS3 owners want to play VG's on their plasma TV's. VG's cause permanent burns on the screen. I'm guessing LCD screens are in the majority?
    "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
    —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

You can get HD DVD players for around $250 now while Bluray is still up around $500. I won't pay extra to get a player just so media corporations and force DRM on me. Hell, there are already 1080p high def movies available on torrent sites so if your monitor can run that high just use your computer.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by MosesPresley
        Microsoft backs HD, maybe they have something up their sleeve?
        MS backs HD just to hinder Sony meanwhile working on IPTV and direct downloads of media.

I don't believe they were ever "all in" to the extent that the other players were (toshiba, bluman group).

Its too bad, I would have loved MS to buy warner exclusivity like blu ray did, as the format war benefited me as a consumer (10 free movies with system purchase, then loads of b1g1s, much better deals than I remember switching to dvd.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
          I won't pay extra to get a player just so media corporations and force DRM on me. Hell, there are already 1080p high def movies available on torrent sites so if your monitor can run that high just use your computer.
          I'm guessing Blu ray wouldn't lose any sales from you, regardless of DRM, so to them, you are most likely a nonentity.

Comment

I buy plenty of DVDs. I'm holding back from buying an HD player until the standards war is over. You are right that I download a fair amount of material though.

Comment

Betamax FTW.

Comment

My folks actually bought a betamax around 1982 before it became clear VHS was going to win the standards war.

Comment

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV
                  Betamax FTW.
                  We had a betamax when I was a child. HDDVD is no betamax. Worst case scenario is that it is a nice upscaling dvd for the next x number of years dvds are released. DVD is not dead by a long shot, god knows when its even going to start being phased out, let alone stop getting all of the new releases. It wouldn't surprise me at all if blu ray doesn't get over 50% in video sales before its successor hits the market, especially at the pathetic release schedule currently in place. Where the freak are my tv shows on blu ray?

Comment

FTW...follow the wookie?
                    "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
                    —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

Downloaded media ftw.

HD discs primacy will not be a long-term thing.
                      B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by MosesPresley
                        FTW...follow the wookie?
                        for the win

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                          Downloaded media ftw.

HD discs primacy will not be a long-term thing.
                          Hopefully with a company other than MS at the lead, esp with what has happened lately to Live.

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel

Hopefully with a company other than Apple at the lead, esp with Microsoft's example of a "monopoly" weighing on us.
                            Good point, asleep. I also fixed it, too, so we can be even-handed in our criticisms.
                            B♭3

Comment

Paramount is poised to drop its support of HD-DVD following Warner Brothers' recent backing of Sony's Blu-ray technology, in a move that could sound the death knell of HD-DVD and bring the home entertainment format war to a definitive end

This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Gain in one market leads to a direct loss in the other here.

Bluray isn't going to help the PS3 win, especially since dedicated players are dropping in price at a far faster rate than the PS3.
                                It's still going to help shore the PS3 up a little. And one would presume the main objective of their approach was to win the format war rather than the console war, which it seems likely that they have. I don't know which war is more lucrative to win but would have to infer from Sony's actions that it's the former.

Back to the PS3 angle - if they could release some top PS3 exclusives (when is MGS4 coming out? That should at least be on PS3 first) at a time they were getting lots of press from winning the format war it could give Sony a real boost.

Comment

Working...
                                X