VA Proposal would ban all non-English government materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VA Proposal would ban all non-English government materials

I'm sure that would be no ill effects of such a measure. No Sir.

Proposal would ban non-English government materials

Richmond (Map, News) - An array of services Virginia agencies and local governments provide to non-English-speaking residents would become illegal under legislation a Woodbridge Republican has introduced in the General Assembly.

Del. Scott Lingamfelter’s bill would require that all government-written communication, ranging from informational fliers to Web sites to official documents, be in English and bar the material from being written in any other language.

“I knocked on 10,000 doors during the election, and I cannot tell you how many times people asked me why immigrants cannot speak English and ‘why do I have to press 1 for English?’” Lingamfelter said. “When you want to be a U.S. citizen, you need to learn English because it will create success for you and a legacy of speaking English for your offspring.”

The measure does allow exceptions for court and police documents, health care materials and schools. If the measure becomes law, for example, Arlington County could no longer maintain an official Web site in Spanish as well as English. Lingamfelter insists his measure is intended to help immigrants assimilate into Virginia’s culture, but John Steinbach, a coordinator with Mexicanos Sin Fronteras, said the bill is a political ploy to capitalize on anti-immigrant sentiment.

“This is just plain, old-fashioned xenophobia and intolerance,” he said. “It is mean-spirited, cynical and opportunistic. Immigrants work hard to learn English already, so this is not going to help the in any way. This is just for show.”

Greg Letique, the leader of the anti-illegal-immigration Help Save Manassas organization, said legal immigrants who come to Virginia are often preyed upon because they lack English skills. He also understands the concerns of Lingamfelter’s constituents who do not want to have to press 1 for English.

“What most people see is an assault on American culture,” he said. “They are being forced to deal with accommodations for foreign languages that they feel aren’t justified, but most people also miss the compassionate side. Whenever you are in a country and can’t communicate, you are relegated to a permanent underclass. It makes folks vulnerable to fraud and abuse. For those immigrants who come here legally, we need to do everything we can to encourage them to participate fully in our culture.”

jrogalsky@dcexaminer.com
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Yay, xenophobia in action... pressing 1 for english is SO HARD, cry me a river.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

It will mean that they won't be able to direct a small fraction of their unlimited resources to non-citizens anymore.

Comment

We have an idiot in the state legislature. This is news?

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
          We have an idiot in the state legislature. This is news?
          Not surprisingly, he's from Prince William County.
          Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

I wouldn't be suprised if this guy's motivations are dubious, but he is right nonetheless.
            "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos

I wouldn't be suprised if this guy's motivations are dubious, but he is right nonetheless.
              Why?

"Let's so how much more isolated we can make people"?

Comment

Because we are defacto an English speaking nation. Now seeing where he is from I, like you, think his "it will help them" line is a cover for some other motivation.

But the point stands, immigrants should learn English. Most legal ones do actually, so why is our government spending money to make the lives easier for law breakers?
                "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

"Immigrants should learn English" doesn't entail "Immigrants should have to learn English before they can receive any government services".

Comment

"Immigrants should learn English" doesn't entail "Immigrants should have to learn English before they can receive any government services".
                    Perhaps you missed the part where the basic services still get language assistance?

Comment

Regardless of your opinion on people needing to speak english... disenfranchising the poorest of the poor is inhumane and wrong. Yes, perhaps they need to speak english; but eliminating their access to necessary government services is NOT the right answer.

Comment

Oh, you think that those materials are for CITIZENS? Interesting...

Comment

Perhaps you missed the part where the basic services still get language assistance?
                          Basic services entail much more than just what was listed in that bill.

Comment

It just shows that the rep isn't completely insane. However, there's still no reason to forbid local govts from offering resources in spanish.

Comment

Oh, you think that those materials are for CITIZENS? Interesting...
                              1. I haven't seen any one mention citizens yet.

2. There are certainly many citizens of the US that do not speak English as their primary language, and 'adequate english to work/live' is not the same as 'adequate english to understand complex government documents'.

Comment

Working...
                              X