If these battles were movies people would try to get their money back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zkribbler

That story would be good, but only if told from the Pancho Villa point of view.
    No thanks, I've already seen Gerry.
    "The nation that controls magnesium controls the universe."

-Matt Groenig

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

You're forgetting about the attack by fireships. That would be a cool scene. And also the Spanish ships sinking near Ireland, with half-drowned sailors staggering ashore to be greeted by very willing Irish lasses.
      Actually the ones that got ashore were robbed of everything they had, including their clothes, by the Irish and then the English hanged most of them - there goes the 12 rating for the film.
      Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Battles that would not make a good film - Battle of Omdurman springs to mind.

The outcome is predictable and the action is kind of repetitive - when you have 10,000 jihadists to machine gun there are only so many ways you can show someone getting shot in slo-mo.

Comment

Pearl Harbor
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Teh Trojan War
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by CerberusIV
              Battles that would not make a good film - Battle of Omdurman springs to mind.

The outcome is predictable and the action is kind of repetitive - when you have 10,000 jihadists to machine gun there are only so many ways you can show someone getting shot in slo-mo.
              This is OMDURMAN!!!
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                Teh Trojan War
                So you've seen Troy then.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                  This is OMDURMAN!!!
                  Ha! My great-grandfather was there. (He was British, not for the Mahdi, in case you're wondering.)
                  The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
                  "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
                  "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
                  The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Originally posted by CerberusIV

So you've seen Troy then.
                    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

I always like when a country that is way over matched starts a war they cant possibly win.

Falkland Islands come to mind quickly.

Comment

Most of the wars between Greek city-states weren't terribly interesting. The numbers involved were smallish, the tactic was always the same (form a line and push forward) and the result usually not a large-scale massacre.

Comment

Who called it a war?

The United States Army Center of Military History officially refers to the campaign as the Mexican Expedition.
                          Yeah, but 'official' American history books refer to a 'Filipino Insurrection' - a conflict which lasted a deal longer than the Spanish-American War which precipitated it, and was far costlier to the Filipinos.

I like the British war with Zanzibar.

The Anglo-Zanzibar War was fought between the United Kingdom and Zanzibar on 27 August, 1896 between 9.02 and 9.40
                          The Anglo-Zanzibar War of 1896, from the edited h2g2, the Unconventional Guide to Life, the Universe and Everything

Best made into a Keystone Cops' comedy short, or a Looney Tunes cartoon.
                          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

molly sighting

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom
                              Yeah, but 'official' American history books refer to a 'Filipino Insurrection' - a conflict which lasted a deal longer than the Spanish-American War which precipitated it, and was far costlier to the Filipinos.
                              Regardless, the quote was in response to the assertion that the expedition against Pancho Villa was "called a war". The question is, by whom? Especially since I believe there were less than even 100 deaths in that entire expedition.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Regardless, the quote was in response to the assertion that the expedition against Pancho Villa was "called a war". The question is, by whom? Especially since I believe there were less than even 100 deaths in that entire expedition.
                                Even fewer in the Anglo-Zanzibar War, and none in the Anglo-Icelandic Cod War. Cod, in more ways than one, obviously....

Who calls what a war, or an insurrection or a war of liberation is always a sticking point.

Were the Eritreans rebelling against Ethiopia, or fighting to regain independence ? All depends on who wins, and who writes the history....
                                Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                                X