So, what's the deal with Janis Joplin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Janis

There's hardly a song she sang that I don't like.
    Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
      "Oh Lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz"
      That song features her hideous voice a capella, but that's actually only the second most painful thing about it. The most painful thing about it is getting hit over the head with obvious and trite "social commentary."
      "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
        You are correct. [Me & Bobby McGee was ]Written by Kris Kristofferson.
        Trivia: Kristofferson wrote it as a favor for a friend of his who'd been smitten by a secretary named Bobby McKee. The song would have probably made a better impression, if Kristofferson had gotten the name right.

Janis Joplin's songs are supposed to be purty. They're a cri du coeur. And she rocks the blues.

Cry Baby Ball & Chain

Comment

Music's more than technical proficiency. There are plenty of people with more versatile voices than Janis, but **** can she sing...
          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
          -Bokonon

Comment

Every song I listened to by her only deepened my dislike for her.

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
              You truely must be pitied.

Comment

I don't see how. I don't really like her singing. It's like she's purposefully trying to sound like sh*t. On top of that, the actual song itself is garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
                  Why would you continue to listen to something you obviously don't like?
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil

Why would you continue to listen to something you obviously don't like?
                    Because the majority of posters said they liked her, or that 'blabla' was her best song, so I listened to them. I listened to 5 or 6 songs, but eventually I had to come to terms with reality: all her songs are fail

Comment

Re: So, what's the deal with Janis Joplin?

Originally posted by Jaguar
                      there must be something I'm missing here
                      Indeed there is.

Janis rocks!

"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

That song features her hideous voice a capella, but that's actually only the second most painful thing about it. The most painful thing about it is getting hit over the head with obvious and trite "social commentary."
                        I dislike that song. In fact, I didn't realize it was her. I thought it was some country singer.

Comment

Ahh, but you miss it. I guess I can understand why the younger generation doesn't get Janis. You see, the "social commentary" wasn't trite when that song came out. It came out during the awakening of a nation to all the social inequalities that so many had taken for granted for so long...and the shear outpouring of those enlightenments from the hearts of people like Dylan and Joplin (among many others) inspired people to take action to make things better.

If you want vocal pefection then get Pavorati...if you want music that comes from the soul and reached people in a way they never were reached before, the put Joplin on the list.

She rocks.
                          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

I like back then looks weren't as important to be a successful female singer. Good luck doing that today. You pretty much have to be good looking to get a record deal. Even men seem to have to be good looking. You won't see ugly bands such as Grim Reaper around today (didn't help they sucked ). Or Lemmy- that's one ugly bastard. The Kiss lead singer is pretty nasty as well. I shudder to think of all the hot women he's had... It just isn't fair.

Comment

As pointed out, Joplin was a blues singer. A great voice isn't required to sing the blues. Just some emotion and soul. Look at some of the greats of blues: Muddy Waters, Son House, Howlin' Wolf, etc. Just because B.B. King had a good voice doesn't mean it's a requirement for the blues .
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Who's that writin'? John the revelator.
                                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                                X