No announcement yet.

Father murders daughter who refuses to wear hijab...in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So asher, are you gonna respond to Ramo? If this is about fundamentalism, period, then its certainly faith communities other than Islam.

My point is that fundies frequently do ****ed up ****. I have no idea what yours is. The only religious people who have any problems are Muslims?
    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
    -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
      Asher, you're the one who got into his face about an aside that happened to be related to both Judaism and Islam, particularly in the context of this thread.
      I pointed out to him that it's off-topic. It is. So is this.

You guys can drop it now.

Originally posted by lord of the mark
      The post you quote doesnt mention Judaism in particular.
      You really don't want to insult my intelligence like this.

This is not a Jewish thread, stop trying to make it one.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo

So asher, are you gonna respond to Ramo? If this is about fundamentalism, period, then its certainly faith communities other than Islam.

My point is that fundies frequently do ****ed up ****. I have no idea what yours is. The only religious people who have any problems are Muslims?
        read the whole thread, Ramo. Im only calling for consistency from our thread starter.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

It's not off-topic, it was distinctly related to the event in the OP. And you jacked the thread this way, deal with it.

Again, you're the one who jacked the thread in this direction. LOTM just made an off-hand comment that wasn't supposed to start some huge alternative discussion.

Comment

read the whole thread, Ramo. Im only calling for consistency from our thread starter.
            Here's consistency: This thread has nothing to do with Judaism. It has everything to do with family violence and honour in fundy Muslim households. Please, please, PLEASE drop it and move on.

If you want to discuss Judaism and how it relates to everything, you can feel free to start your own thread.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

It's not off-topic, it was distinctly related to the event in the OP. And you jacked the thread this way, deal with it.

Again, you're the one who jacked the thread in this direction. LOTM just made an off-hand comment that wasn't supposed to start some huge alternative discussion.
              You're wrong, Vesayen began rambling about LOTM's "aside" comment -- this is the definition of a threadjack. Look it up.

This thread has nothing to do with Judaism. If you want to whine about Judaism, do it elsewhere. I don't know how much clearer I need to be about this.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                It's better with the full quote, at least:

As for LotM's post... to sum up for the slow:

Jewish guilt > Muslim honor killing.

-Arrian
                BTW, let me point out, Im NOT asserting that all muslims use honor killing. AFAIK, even most muslims who insist on the Hijab, are much more likely to use the (insert name of forbidden ethno-religious tradition here) techniques Ive mentioned, than violence.
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Can't we all just get along?!
                  Attached Files
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

BTW, let me point out, Im NOT asserting that all muslims use honor killing. AFAIK, even most muslims who insist on the Hijab, are much more likely to use the (insert name of forbidden ethno-religious tradition here) techniques Ive mentioned, than violence.
                    The threadjack continues.

Comment

I've heard that this sort of thing happens fairly regularly in the U.K.
                      ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                      ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

It has everything to do with family violence and honour in fundy Muslim households.
                        Either A. Thats silly, since ALL fundamentalists do the same thing
                        or B. Its in contrast to what other religious fundamentalists do. In which case, what other religious fundies (for example Christians, Hindus, and groups that must not be named) do, is ontopic, to flesh out the contrast.

Comment

Alright everybody, only talk about crazy Muslims and their honor killings.

Raise your hand if you support what the father did.

Okay. Now what do we talk about?
                          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                            Alright everybody, only talk about crazy Muslims and their honor killings.

Raise your hand if you support what the father did.

Okay. Now what do we talk about?
                            Off the top of my head:

1) The prevalence of this
                            2) The integration and societal pressure put on girls such as this to fit in with her "Canadian" friends
                            3) How no one could see the warning signs and how this could be prevented in the future (eg, she wanted to stay at shelters because she was terrified of her father)

Discussing Judaism is pretty ****ing far down the list here.

LOTM in particular knew specifically how much I hate it when he discusses Judaism in unrelated threads. He did it again here, and I can't see how it was anything but intentional.

Comment

Why don't you put him on "ignore"?
                              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Great. Now discuss those things.

LOTM mentioning Judaism does not stop you from making points about those subjects. If you make good points, or interesting points, or crazy points then people will respond and there will be discussion.

If all you do is whine about how Judaism is corrupting your thread, those things you want to discuss won't get discussed. Get it?
                                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                                X