Hey, atheists . . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Touched by his noodly appendage...
    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

• Originally posted by Oerdin
      That's because that news is old. I read about that only CG weeks ago.
      It's new here, to those of us who don't go to Counterglow. Or Eventis, whatever that is, or Slashdot, or Fark, or wherever.

Arrian, in threads like this one, nobody wins. A/theism arguments are the Vietnam of online debate. All of us, including myself, are a little dumber after clicking, reading and participating.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Fortunately I didn't participate in the majority of them at poly
        Blah

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok

It's new here, to those of us who don't go to Counterglow. Or Eventis, whatever that is, or Slashdot, or Fark, or wherever.

Arrian, in threads like this one, nobody wins. A/theism arguments are the Vietnam of online debate. All of us, including myself, are a little dumber after clicking, reading and participating.
          I always thought trench warfare was a more appropriate metaphor.
          Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
          The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
          The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

• Originally posted by Omni Rex Draconis

ARGH!

Then you shouldn't write words like, "crimes against humanity that were committed for the sake of atheistic means/goals. Stalin's bloody purge of Orthodox and Catholic clergy for example." in your OP.
            My bad; should have said, ". . . some atheists had no qualms committing horrendous crimes for the sake of gaining political power."

Or something like that.
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Originally posted by Heraclitus
              I always thought trench warfare was a more appropriate metaphor.
              The thing is, even in trench warfare it's possible to win if you have enough troops and are willing to sacrifice enough of them. Here you can't really win or lose until such time as the other guy has had enough and gives up/goes away, and even then you don't really "win" anything, it's just a sort of default victory that leaves you feeling unclean somehow. No winners. The only difference is that the Vietnamese didn't really have the option to leave Vietnam, which was why we inevitably "lost." Also this isn't a bloody, napalm-soaked guerrilla war, but it's analogous.
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• I guess that would depend on the argument and what you consider winning...

The thread starter has retreated from his original inflammatory post (going so far as to DanS it ). So it seems that was won.

I've yet to see anyone defeat the argument in post #58 wrt atheism as a religion. So that seems won.

We're all eagerly awaiting for the theists to provide some proof that one or more of these imaginary beings actually exist. None offered yet, so that seems won.
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                X