In my opinion this is just murder.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Patroklos

Then the article should have said that. It specifically states, falsely it seems, you can't use deadly force or force that causes grevious bodily harm while protecting yourself.

Not I, but your article, and I figured as much. When we can't nitpick shoddy journelism for fun, we shall know the end is near.
    The article does not correctly state the law or at least is a bit misleading in how it phrases things such that it is easy to misinterpret. I summarized it correctly earlier-- You can essentially only use deadly force to protect life NOT property

Technically you could have a shotgun aimed at houserobbers but if they made no move toward you or any other person while they emptied your house of valuables, you technically would have no right to shoot them.

BUT I still think a jury would give a homeowner a LOT of slack in assessing the reasonableness of their fears if they pulled the trigger.

In Texas you can empty a machine gun into the backs of robbers that are hundred feet away and fleeing-- and break no laws
    Last edited by Flubber; January 5, 2008, 00:06.
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil

I posted it to demonstrate that in this country just b/c someone is not lawfully in a residence you don't just get to start blasting carte blanche. Some jurisdictions allow lethal force to protect property, ours does not. It fit with the point Flubber was originally making.

As to this particular case - I have no idea of the facts surrounding this home invasion/killing to really know if the force was justified or not.
      Nor do I BUT absent other facts that radically change the situation I like the chances of an INJURED homeowner to NOT be charged with anything when dealing with a 3 am housebreaking

If he was uninjured and shot people from 50 feet away it would be different but apparently a homeowner was hurt and didn't the dead guy die of STAB wounds. If someone in my house at 3 am is close enough that I can stab them i KNOW I have a very very strong and real fear of death or injury.
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• [QUOTE] Originally posted by Flubber

soory dp

Comment

• Flubber - Yes, on the face of it I like this particular guy's chances. Intruders in the bedroom in the middle of the night would certainly be alarming.

I'm curious about the relationship between the people. Apparently they knew each other...
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Strange... the few Texans I've met have tended to be the friendliest people alive. So why the need for guns?
            "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
            "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

• Originally posted by Whaleboy
              Strange... the few Texans I've met have tended to be the friendliest people alive. So why the need for guns?
              You've got it backwards. An armed society is a polite (and friendly) society.

Comment

• Originally posted by Igloodude

You've got it backwards. An armed society is a polite (and friendly) society.
                You bloody colonists . This is how you do it:

"I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber

The article does not correctly state the law or at least is a bit misleading in how it phrases things such that it is easy to misinterpret. I summarized it correctly earlier-- You can essentially only use deadly force to protect life NOT property

Technically you could have a shotgun aimed at houserobbers but if they made no move toward you or any other person while they emptied your house of valuables, you technically would have no right to shoot them.

BUT I still think a jury would give a homeowner a LOT of slack in assessing the reasonableness of their fears if they pulled the trigger.

In Texas you can empty a machine gun into the backs of robbers that are hundred feet away and fleeing-- and break no laws
                  You are so wrong it's unbelievable.

Full auto machine guns are illegal in Texas, too.

ACK!
                  Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• Originally posted by Whaleboy

You bloody colonists . This is how you do it:

http://www.thechap.net/content/section_news/law.html
                    Hammering people with ASBOs is a bandaid, not a solution.

Originally posted by Tuberski

ACK!
                    Ummm... No, actually they're not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuberski

ACK!

Excuse me-- it can't be a full auto -- so what does that mean? Your legal gun can only shoot 3 bullets a second instead of 10??

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil
                        Flubber - Yes, on the face of it I like this particular guy's chances. Intruders in the bedroom in the middle of the night would certainly be alarming.

I'm curious about the relationship between the people. Apparently they knew each other...

Word from the police is that the homeowners may be charged with at least public mischief or something similiar for being "less than forthcoming". Usually I thought that charge was reserved for people that lied to police and caused them to waste time investigating wild goose chases.

Its probably some criminal enterprise gone wrong so the homeowners can't tell the truth. The police might know this and want to nail them with something, particularly if they did waste the police's time with some crazy story.

Comment

• Originally posted by Patroklos
                          Girl Germans
                          Alas, she's married, and as if this wasn't bad enough already, she's from Canada too, just residing here.

Comment

Working...
                          X