Your phone - what do you do with it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your phone - what do you do with it?

I think it's kind of weird how people update their phones into these expensive models, they have their new platforms that allow all kinds of applications and whatnot, connectivity with all the possible methods you could think, but still they just use it for talking with others and at best take few pics. I think it's a waste, stick to cheaper phones, why invest in features you don't use? Waste of money

Well anyway, I of course talk, send messsages (sms, mms), take the occasional pic and video, use few apps for professional purposes (mostly bluetooth hacks and so forth, or just simply scan for open networks, it's not really good for it but I can manage if a need for it surfaces out of nowhere). Then of course the internet and e-mail, I usually go for the WLAN option but since I've paid for unlimited data transfer, I can just use GPRS as well, but I like to use WLAN more, because it usually is a bit faster (because I got the slowest/cheapest deal with GPRS, I don't need it so much, plenty of WLAN coverage in here).

Sometimes I hook it up with my laptop so I can use the internet if no WLANs present. Then, I like to listen music with it, mostly mp3s and rarely radio, very rarely. The latest thing I've done a lot and regularly is get some podcasts, I have few that I follow so I like it because I get automatic updates and never have to worry about them. They just kind of come to me now without any thought or effort. So I like that very very much, it's cool.

So there's quite a few things I do with it all the time so I do have use for it. Also I have GPS in it, but I rarely need GPS so... meh. But in case I'm lots, hey... let's turn on the GPS and see where we're at.

And of course the obligatory clock and calendar function is something I use, I also use it as my alarm clock. But getting podcasts directly to it without using the computer is hella cool
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

I call poeple and receive calls.

Yay! I got the obvious stupid answer first! Take that LS!

As for the OP, I dont have a cell phone, neither do I want one.

Spec.
    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Well like I said, if you don't need the features, it would be waste of money anyway.

There's no point spending hundreds of dollars/euros on a device you don't really use.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Email and SMS, mostly.

I use Google Maps.

I play Sudoku and watch YouTubes when I get bored.

I log into my home server and stream music and video.

Sometimes, I even make and receive calls on it!
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I put it on vibrate, shove it up my bum and get people to call me.
          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
            I put it on vibrate, shove it up my bum and get people to call me.
            :ashleycole:

Comment

I use mine for calls and texts. I also try and hide it when using it it in public as it is so old and unfashionable - it's over three years old.

Comment

i get calls, occasionally i call people, txt and pix msg all the time [[4000ish times last month]], and sometimes i record audio, use it as a light and clock. that's it i think.

Comment

THat's a good point, I also use it as a light sometimes

4000 messages last month? Nice

LS. cool stuff, what kind of a phone do you have? WHat kind of connection you get, I mean if you stream music and video?
                  In da butt.

Comment

The only phone I really use is for work

with that phone I keep in touch with my manufacturing facility via receiving and making calls, using the two way, and receiving SCADA reports (mostly alarms), and sometimes to receive short e-mails. Apart from that I don't use it.
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

My current phone doesnt; actually have a working microphone so I use it as a light, alarm clock and occasional message. Seeing how my home phone has free calls to landlines, I get by with that, facebook and email now.
                      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I use my cell for its traditional purpose as well as texting. Its alarm helps wake me up in the morning. Google calendar send texts to it so that I don't forget important dates. If I'm not around my laptop or my work computer (not often), I will use my phone to lookup directions, find phone numbers, and do other bits of internet research. Last year, while traveling, I often used NFL Mobile on my phone to keep track of how badly the 'Skins were losing. That about sums it up.

Oh, I've also made the occasional post on 'Poly from my phone, but that's a tad bit awkward.
                        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                          Its alarm helps wake me up in the morning.
                          ohyea, i use the alarm when i'm sleeping in any bed other than my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                            LS. cool stuff, what kind of a phone do you have? WHat kind of connection you get, I mean if you stream music and video?
                            It's an HTC. Teh connection is EVDO; I can only really stream video when I have 5 bars, but teh phone is firmware-upgradeable to EVDO Rev. A in January so that should make it much faster.
                            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I keep it in my pocket til the battery goes dead. Then, I plug it in in my office. Eventually, I check my messages and find out about all fun stuff i've missed.
                              The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

Working...
                              X