WGA strike taking its toll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WGA strike taking its toll

Excerpts from an e-mail from Dale Alexander, a key grip on NBC's "The Office":

"Our show was shut down and we were all laid off this week. I've been watching the news since the WGA strike was announced and I have yet to see any coverage dedicated to the effect that this strike will have on the below the line employees.

"I respect the WGA's position. They probably do deserve a larger percentage of profit participation, but a lengthy strike will affect more than just the writers and studios. On my show we had 14 writers. There were also 2 cameramen, 2 camera assistants, 4 hair stylists, 4 makeup artists, 7 wardrobe people, 4 grips, 4 electricians, 2 craft service, 4 props people, 6 construction, 1 medic, 3 art department, 5 set dressers, 3 sound men, 3 stand-ins, 2 set PAs, 4 assistant directors, 1 DGA trainee, 1 unit manager, 6 production office personnel, 3 casting people, 4 writers assistants, 1 script supervisor, 2 editors, 2 editors assistants, 3 post production personnel, 1 facilities manager, 8 drivers, 2 location managers, 3 accountants, 4 caterers and a producer who's not a writer. All 102 of us are now out of work.

"I have been in the motion picture business for 33 years and have survived three major strikes. None of which have been by any of the below the line unions. During the 1988 WGA strike many of my friends lost their homes, cars and even spouses. Many actors are publicly backing the writers, some have even said that they would find a way to help pay bills for the striking writers. When the networks run out of new shows and they air repeats the writers will be paid residuals. The lowest paid writer in television makes roughly twice the salary than the below the line crewmember makes. Everyone should be paid their fair share, but does it have to be at the expense of the other 90% of the crewmembers. Nobody ever recoups from a strike, lost wages are just that, lost.

"We all know that the strike will be resolved. Eventually both sides will return to the bargaining table and make a deal. The only uncertainty is how many of our houses, livelihoods, college educations and retirement funds will pay for it."
    This article was originally on a blog post platform and may be missing photos, graphics or links.

So is this a 'luxury' strike? Discuss!
    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

No idea, but maybe it was the cause for another re-run of the Daily Show - Global Edition on CNN Intl. which allowed me to see it, while the two earlier airings were messed up by "breaking news" showing some irrelevant BS. So it's not that bad from my POV
    Blah

Comment

Rich over paid bourgeois types demand still more money. News at 11.

It reminds me of the Baseball players strike a few years back. I just can't get worked up over the "plight" of poor writers who demand a third Porche and yet another Tuscan vacation house. :/
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Windows Genuine Advantage
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
          Rich over paid bourgeois types demand still more money. News at 11.

It reminds me of the Baseball players strike a few years back. I just can't get worked up over the "plight" of poor writers who demand a third Porche and yet another Tuscan vacation house. :/
          I can agree with that. But OTOH how much do you need to pay people to be able to exploit them? Union rights are union rights after all. If the companys make money out of the labour of the writers, the writers deserve to get their share of it. Right?

Comment

I just think it's funny that, with all the discussion about what copyright means and how the MPAA needs DRM and how you're not actually buying a song/movie/episode but just a license to view the content you download in specially approved players, no, you need to buy a different file for that machine, sorry...the studios are refusing to pay writers residuals. Come on.
            "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

The fact is the RIAA and MPAA all attempt to justify their draconian measures to screw their customers over by claiming it is all for the benefit of the artists. The reality is the studies all crew over the artists and pocket the cash for themselves.

Comment

So is it then wrong to demand a bigger piece of the pie? That's what WGA is doing here AFAIK...

Comment

They can demand to their hearts content. Just don't expect me to care about them or the RIAA/MPAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoid
                    So is it then wrong to demand a bigger piece of the pie? That's what WGA is doing here AFAIK...
                    It's what they're doing to an extent, but as I understand it the big sticking point is residuals for 'new media' sales. Right now the writers don't get residuals if you download a TV show from iTunes, etc. It's a new revenue stream for the studios that the writers are cut out of despite the fact they would normally get a cut of other delivery mechanisms. On that point, at least, it's not about getting a bigger piece of the pie, it's about getting the same percentage of a bigger pie.
                    "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Unions

Comment

Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi

It's what they're doing to an extent, but as I understand it the big sticking point is residuals for 'new media' sales. Right now the writers don't get residuals if you download a TV show from iTunes, etc. It's a new revenue stream for the studios that the writers are cut out of despite the fact they would normally get a cut of other delivery mechanisms. On that point, at least, it's not about getting a bigger piece of the pie, it's about getting the same percentage of a bigger pie.
                        Yeah, well. That's what I meant

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                          Unions
                          Kuciwalkers

Comment

If this was a European country there would be a law to the effect that nobody is allowed to write for television/movies unless he is a member of the writers' union/guild.

Since in the USA I assume no such law exists, I don't understand how writers have any bargaining power at all considering they're trivial to replace. There are probably tens of thousands of people who would like to be writers and have the prerequisite skills.

What gives?

Comment

rich people
                              Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Working...
                              X