we won!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• we won!

Carnegie Mellon won the DARPA Urban Challenge and 2 million dollars. The Urban Challenge was an hours-long race between completely robotic cars from different teams trying to complete certain objectives by driving around a city while obeying all traffic laws and avoiding collisions with stationary objects and other vehicles. Stanford narrowly beat us in the original Grand Challenge, a race through a desert course, and they actually completed this challenge 2 minutes before we did (while starting 40 minutes earlier), but the scoring ended up favoring us and we won the top prize.

How were you involved with this?
    Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
    1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

1) It's my school. People say "we won" re: football games et. al. all the time, it seems equally valid for this case.

2) I wrote a program that did some topographical stuff with a satellite photo of the course, but they ended up using something else.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
        1) It's my school. People say "we won" re: football games et. al. all the time, it seems equally valid for this case.
        no
        Unbelievable!

Comment

2) I wrote a program that did some topographical stuff with a satellite photo of the course, but they ended up using something else.
          So... that would sort of make you like player cut from the team. Just couldn't hack it, eh?

Comment

Nah... I'll take Kuci claim of "we" as valid based on his anaolgy (but doing so for academic stuff IS pretty weak).

I read about this in popular science. Which system did they use? And if you wrote a program for the topicgraphical aspects of the course, then it would seem that the victory is kinda hollow as it would be specific to the course and not for general use.

Make one that can go in any city without having to update a topigraphical map.
            Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
            1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

would probably be easier to have a topological map of every city

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Kuci

How many pedestrians were run over in the course of the competition? (By your team, or other teams. Or even by you personally.)

Comment

Nah... I'll take Kuci claim of "we" as valid based on his anaolgy (but doing so for academic stuff IS pretty weak).

So it's okay to have some sort of communal celebration of a meaningless few hours of entertainment that will be forgotten by nearly everyone, but not so for a huge, lasting contribution to the advancement of science and technology?

Comment

We won!!!

USA! USA! USA!
                    Long time member @ Apolyton
                    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Donegeal

I read about this in popular science. Which system did they use? And if you wrote a program for the topicgraphical aspects of the course, then it would seem that the victory is kinda hollow as it would be specific to the course and not for general use.

Make one that can go in any city without having to update a topigraphical map.
                      Eh it had nothing to do with the specifics. The program I wrote took a number of known coordinates (the GPS route we were given) and an aerial or satellite photo, and "undistorted" the photo (it would be distorted based on hills, etc.) using that data, producing a new image.

I don't know how they were going to use this specifically, actually.

Comment

So it's okay to have some sort of communal celebration of a meaningless few hours of entertainment that will be forgotten by nearly everyone, but not so for a huge, lasting contribution to the advancement of science and technology?
                        Yes.
                        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

(We actually built 2 cars.)

Comment

lol Carnegie won, Kuci lost LOL

pwned
                            The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

I revoke my earlier and change it to a based on that third image...

Comment

Working...
                              X