Finally, someone is thinking about the children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally, someone is thinking about the children

Call Ozzy, it's a great day for the little ones.

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Wedgie-proof underwear earned 8-year-old twin boys a spot Friday on “The Ellen DeGeneres Show.”

Using rigged boxers and fabric fasteners to hold together some seams, Jared and Justin Serovich came up with the “Rip Away 1000.”

“When the person tries to grab you — like the bully or the person tries to give you a wedgie — they just rip away,” Justin explained Thursday by phone from Los Angeles, where the TV segment was taped Wednesday.

The third graders from Gables Elementary School began brainstorming one day after they were horsing around, giving each other the treatment. Their mother’s partner sarcastically said someone ought to invent wedgie-proof underwear, the family said.

The project got the boys to the finals of a central Ohio invention competition earlier this year, followed by the television appearance.

Atomic wedgies will be relegated to the dustbin of history along with cod liver oil and Dukes of Hazard lunch boxes.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

i've never seen anyone get a wedgie before IRL.

Comment

An atomic wedgie is when the underwear is pulled up over the wearer's head...
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Re: Finally, someone is thinking about the children

Originally posted by Wezil
        Call Ozzy, it's a great day for the little ones.
        By youth, for youth.
        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I knew you'd approve.

Comment

Wow. What a horrible parent. Encouraging creativity instead of TV watching.
            Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
            I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Dukes of Hazard lunch boxes are definetly NOT relegated to the dustbin of history!
              "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Well they should be!

Think of the children.

Comment

People are getting a little carried away.
                  The schoolyard games that are becoming banned is ridiculous.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Nobody banned wedgies. They just came up with a defence against them.

I do think the kids should have demonstrated a wedgie on Ellen DeGeneres though.

Comment

Of course, once the rip-away underpants are used the wearer has no underwear does he? The bullies will retaliate by pulling the victim's pants down, leaving him completely exposed.
                      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Bullies thrive off fear. Once the fear of the wedgies are gone, the general population will rise up and revolt. Sure, the bully may have other options, but once the fear is gone, they are all but impotent.

(Well, at least once the combo glasses/snorkle is invented to deal with swirlies.)

Comment

Some bullies thrive off of the infliction of pain. If one mode of pain giving is denied them they'll simply switch to another. After all, even giving wedgies gets boring after awhile. I'll wager that most bullies have a modest repetoire of tortures.

Don't forget about the Indian corn husking trick, the match burning twice trick, the tripping over the guy on all fours behind you trick, the oh was that your homework trick, the if you're up to bat next you have to stand over here right next to the batter trick. There are many more.
                          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

It's not the motivation of the bully that matters, it's the fear in the general populace. That is what keeps them from fighting back and uniting. The hope of having eliminated wedgies will shine through the gloom of fear, illuminating the hearts of the bullied everywhere. It's that hope that will win the day!

Comment

american ingenuity

Comment

Working...
                              X