Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok... So how much money am I going to lose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zkribbler

I think you vastly underestimate the infinite amount of my stupidity.

I thought about doing something like this, but how do I know if the power supply is enough for my new CPU?
    I would have no such worries, it's all 220 here.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Zkrib, you have a bunch of people here who build computers for fun. If you want to give it a shot, start a thread and you'll get more help than you'll possibly need (and maybe want...).
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

A bit OT, but did any one of you test Civ 4 with different hardware...

ATM I have a C2D E6400 @ 2.7 ghz, and 8800GTS with 2 gigs of ram... wandering if the extra cache in the 4MB C2D versions gives any speed improvements...

On large maps the game is defintely playable, but in the end game it slows down considerably (5-10 sec per turn) so thinking that it would be nice to get some speedup if possible at the moment...

given that the game is not multithreaded, I expect no performance gain from going Quad, and 2.7 ghz on air is fast enough already... I mean another 600-700ghz might be obtainable with a different motherboard/cooling (and definitely a higher spec proc) but I don't think it's really worth the hassle... the only question I have is whether bigger cache gives more of a boost in late game, on it's own.
        Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

A bigger cache will give better performance at the same clock-speed in most applications. The biggest gap (1MB to 4MB) in the Core 2 Duo line is only going to make ~5% difference generally speaking, at the same clockspeed. And the difference between 2MB to 4MB may be even less.

It might cut a second or two off those times at most. E6400s can get up to 3.6GHz often enough, and 3GHz+ on stock cooling. But as you said, you might need a better MB. (I forget what multiplier the E6400 uses.)

Comment

So the winning bid was $910?

Which seems to show that there are bargains to be found on e-bay and that if you want to do well selling stuff you need to put effort into marketing.

Hope the loss didn't hurt too much.

Comment

So the correct answer (as to how much Aeson was going to lose) is roughly $500. Which means that, although I lost out in the bidding, I did at least correctly guess what he'd lose (before I started bidding, or even had any idea what I'd bid). Huzzah, I guess.

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
              X