Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok... So how much money am I going to lose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok... So how much money am I going to lose?

Ok, so I had some spare cash and nothing to do with it, so decided to put together a new computer to sell. I love building computers so thought I'd try it out... and wouldn't mind eventually running a business selling custom built (and modded) computers...

I've put it up as a no reserve, $.99 (+shipping) eBay listing. (It's at $26 right now.) This is a decent upper-midrange gaming computer, cost about $1300 from NewEgg, and of course the eBay fees. I had a buyer on craigslist, offering $1400, but he never came through when I listed it on eBay for him at that price. Bastard.

I hope this isn't against forum rules... I'm really not advertising here... Just if this thing ends up going for dirt cheap, I'd rather it be to a polytubbie than some random asshat.

Here's the listing if you're interested.

-----------------------

Oh, and just because this box has an 8800GTX, I wouldn't recommend building a computer with one now that the 8800GT is out. It costs ~$200 less than the GTX, and even less than some GTS, while almost matching the performance of the GTX and blowing away the GTS... so there's really no point in the 8800GTX. (Still would like a sub-$200 DX10 card that would make sense though. The 8800GTS should be priced there given performance, only it's not.)

I also wouldn't recommend spending any money on anything more than a low-end CPU right now. Intel just launched their 45nm Quad Core, at $1400 or something ridiculous like that, and once they start putting out their lower priced 45nm parts in first quarter of next year, they're going to blow everything else out of the water in terms of power consumption, and overclockability, with a decent performance increase as well. Should really drive down the prices of the Q6600 and higher-end Core 2 Duos.
    $1400+ (The buyer won't pay up the $26 and I'll be forced to relist again...)
    0.00%
    $1350 (Someone is getting a $26 steal! I'm an idiot.)
    7.69%
    $1000 (Ebayers always at least make one run at the end...)
    15.38%
    $500 (Somone takes home a whole computer for less than the Video Card costs.)
    23.08%
    $110 (If the MIRs come through, I'll break even!)
    15.38%
    $0 or less (YAY!)
    23.08%
    I'll end up shipping it to some monkey for a crateful of Bananas :p
    15.38%

The poll is expired.

Can you sell to Brits?
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Do you have an LBC nearby to ship to the Philippines?

How many bananas is that?
      Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
        Can you sell to Brits?
        Yah. eBay's shipping calculator says the base S&H price would be:

USPS Priority Mail InternationalTM $118.50
        Estimated delivery 6-10 days

Not sure on possible duties or taxes that would apply though.

Comment

want a new PC...
          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

...and that looks like a nice one, and I can easily afford $1400 with this exchange rate, only problem would be tax over here...

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
              Do you have an LBC nearby to ship to the Philippines?

How many bananas is that?
              Yah, there's an LBC here in Oceanside. I haven't the faintest idea what rates would be.

Probably would take the total number of bananas that have appeared in LordShiva's posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
                ...and that looks like a nice one, and I can easily afford $1400 with this exchange rate, only problem would be tax over here...
                Well, I'd be pleasantly suprised at this point if it ended up going for $1000-$1200. The similar spec'd auctions I've been watching have gone for $800-$1800 so it's kinda hit or miss.

Comment

LBC is $70 from Cali iirc. I know, amazing cheap. So you are asking $99, why?

Comment

Ahh, I see, it's a starting point for bidding?

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                      Ahh, I see, it's a starting point for bidding?
                      Yah... 99 cents was the starting bid. Shipping and handling via UPS is calculated domestically automatically by eBay.

That is amazingly cheap shipping. I could fit myself in a slightly larger box with the bananas for sustenance and ship myself over?

Comment

The boxes measure about 2x2, that might take some practice. If you can manage it LBC has a Christmas special. In Oregon the standard rate is $65 per box, the Christmas rate is $55. Believe it or not, every 5th box is free and there is no weight limit. Takes about 5 weeks.

Anyway, tight squeeze, might be easier if you take a plane...if you can finagle a ticket you a very welcome Aeson. I'll even give you a break on the stay for the first month, say... $100 which includes food. Where else can you stay for a hundred bucks/month that includes food? Sure, it's fish head soup & rice every day, but you might live through it and look back on it and smile.

I guess I better hold off on the new comp for now. My comp is soldiering on ok, as long as I'm not in a rush.

Comment

Too much money. One should never spend more than $100 at a time on computer stuff.
                          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Ok... So how much money am I going to lose?

Depends on how much I am going to pay for that

Spec.
                            -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Good luck with teh auction. If you want us to help you inflate teh price of teh final day with some artificial bidding, let us know
                              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
                              X