Where should I go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where should I go?

I want to go abroad for a year or a half. To study abroad, thanks to Erasmus studies programs.
    Now here are my alternatives:

FRANCE
    It is almost sure I'd be given this opportunity, and there are a couple of cities I can chose. Now good historical studies are in Montpellier, Besancon, Poitiers. But I need a place where there are arabic studies as well. Paris would be good, because there's teh great INLCO, National Institute of Oriental Languages and Civilisations. But I don't like Paris. I've been to Poitiers and it's a lovely city. Oh, there was a tiny incident of some homeless guy taking out his weener and peeing in the middle of the main road, but at least thanks to this I will not forget this city. I've been to Montpellier, but I don't remember anything at all of it. I haven't been to Besancon. but my mother has been studying there for a while and says it was fine. And the guy responsible for foreign contacts at my historical studies (being responsible for my thesis as well) praised it as well. But I must know if they have arabic studies there as well.
    The lady responsible for my thesis at arabic studies told me her friend is profesor of history at some south-french university, possibly Montpelier. She is Armenian, after arabic studies and interested in byzantine studies, which would make her a great help for me, because my thesis at historical studies shall be about byzantine-arab border in X century.
    I must get in touch with her.
    The big plus of a stay in France would be that my french would ameliorate. Right now I understand like 95% of what I read in this language, and perhaps 75% of what I hear, but when I have to write, and especially say, something, I can hardly do it.

TURKEY
    My original idea was to study in Turkey. In fact it is an idea I first got like 5 years ago. But I was told by the guy I've mentioned that they transfer Erasmus places assigned to historical institute to oriental institute anyway, and I could go study only where the lectures are in english (I wouldn't be able to understand turkish lectures anyway). But there are none of these. The guy I've mention could make a new deal with Sabanci Universitesi, a private university in Istanbul, just for me (they've done something like this before), but I'd be afraid of this. This is a private university. It's said to be very good, but I've seen their advertisements, where they demand enormous money for studies. And surely I wouldn't get free housing there.
    My turkish would surely ameliorate, but I don't know if there's use developing it. It will never be really good, and my french can be.

GREECE - Saloniki
    Now I love Byzantium, and I always wanted to learn greek. I can do it in France and Turkey as well, but not as good as in Greece itself. Also, I could get free housing at Mark G's or Paliologos' house
    I don't know if they have arabic studies there, but surely they have someone with knowledge about Byzantium.
    But my greek will never become good. Only french is a language that with some practice I can become good in.

Anyway, help me chose.
    France - Paris
    9.52%
    France - Poitiers, Montpellier, Besancon or something else
    23.81%
    Turkey - Istanbul
    9.52%
    Greece - Saloniki
    19.05%
    somewhere else
    14.29%
    stay at home, You banana!
    23.81%
    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

Turkey
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Belarus.

Comment

Paris
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.â€
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV
          Belarus.
          Wanna me to visit You?
          Middle East!

Comment

Yes. I'm lonely.

Comment

Hull.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

France.
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Calgary.

Spec.
                  -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Looks to me like you already know the answer... France!
                    Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

France, outside Paris. Esp. southern France rocks. Poles should always go to France, they become great artists and scientists there.
                      "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                      "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercator
                        Looks to me like you already know the answer... France!
                        I could go to Belgium too
                        Middle East!

Comment

Why didn't you put that in the poll, then?

Where in Belgium can you go? Holland too?
                          I'd come over for a visit if you do come to Belgium/Holland.

France would probably be nicer, though. even though you already are a great artist and scientist.
                          Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Teh problem is that I know which universities have deals with my own one, but I don't know if all of them have deals with historical department. I think my professor could make new deal just for me, but I don't like to pressure anyone.
                            Middle East!

Comment

here is the list of universities having erasmus deals with Warsaw University. In Belgium it's Antwerp, Brussels, Gent, Leuven, Liege, Mons, Namur.
                              In the Netherlands it's Amsterdam, Devente (???), Groningen, Leiden, Maastrich, Nijmegen, Rotterdam and Utrecht. But it makes no sense to go to the Netherlands, because they do not speak french. I could practice my arabic there, though
                              Middle East!

Comment

Working...
                              X