No announcement yet.

Are you a patriot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would agree that helping others helps ourselves as well.

I mean.... I'm not for the blind money giving, but I'm still for giving the money and seeing it through. There are better ways to help as well, with knowledge, engineering, all kinds of stuff that other people need, we have and they don't. I look it as an investment for the long term anyway. It's good for the business. Nokia, for example, just made a new record and hogged a bigger market share, how? By invading the poor countries and dominating the market there. Sure, they sell their stuff cheap, but it's about the share, and it's always profit anyway. So, if they had no money at all, nothing, they wouldn't be able to buy anything. Poor people can't afford their products anyway, but the point is, there's potential for consumerism there as well, and that's good for our businesses.

So if I look at the situation, to me it looks like a big potential, but the true poverty will be an obstacle, because the basic needs aren't even there yet. And that's the business view, the other view is humanitarian view. There comes a point, and I think we've reached that point, where we have enough wealth, where we can give some of it to those who are truly poor. I'm not talking about welfare for lazy people. Foreign aid, those mega poor people and regions, it's human suffering. If I look at the way we live, I think we can easily afford to give something away. In the long term it'll come back to us. We don't even need any planners here to realize that we are going to be the biggest benefiting side once those regions gain more wealth.

I can't talk about that stuff too much since I'm not contributing, I'm just paying taxes and some of that money goes to aid, but I'm not saying we shouldn't do it. I think we should. It's not that much money anyway, plus, I'm all for taking care of our own first, but we already have the money to do that as well. It's a question of how that money is used. So I'm not going to say that the 1% or 2% or whatever is given away in aid elsewhere is truly away from our needy ones, because we aren't efficient enough and prioritizing the money that's meant to help them either.

But I'd rather see two things, which I think most of us would agree. First, I'd like to see us being responsible for the money given, seeing that it goes to where we want it going. Second, I'd like that we'd give all kinds of other help as well, not just money, because hte money is always too little too late anyway, it won't give them any future. THe same goes inside our countries for our own, I think we should see it through that the money is used effectively. There's all kinds of ways the money is wasted now, so there might be enough money and resources already, it's just not used wisely.

And we don't exist for altruism, but that doesn't mean we should never help anyone if we can. Because we're the ones that can help, we have the tools and the money. So... it's up to us if there's going to be any helping around going on and I'd rather choose helping that not helping as long as things are good with us.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

It's easy to see that the Marshall Plan was good economically, becuase there was tremendous potential for increasing production and markets, but just giving money away to poor people regardless of what it can produce or markets that it can create is good because of the law of diminishing utility. There is also a law of diminising utility for money because money buys things that gives us utility. Everyone knows that a dollars is much more valuable to a poor person than a rich person.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by germanos
        I'm loyal to my Banana.

That's hard enough.
        I assume your banana meets all necissary EU guidelines and laws about color, size, and curviture?
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Yes, I'm agreeing that the Marshall Plan was good for us. My point was, we shouldn't go around helping others if it isn't going to benefit ourselves (I'm speaking on a national level, I don't want to get into individuals here). The act of helping a nation in need doesn't automatically confer a benefit on us - the Marshall Plan did so, but many of the countries we send foreign aid to now does not, as in my example of most sub-Saharan nations.
          Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
          Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Part of being Patriotic is questioning your current government about the direction they are taking your country.

Asking the questions, voicing dissent is not unpatriotic.

This is what politics is supposed to be about.

Your government is supposed to reflect the views and wises of the majority that elected it, not disregard those views. Elected officials should still have contact with the constituants - and should listen to them.
            I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd
              Yes, I'm agreeing that the Marshall Plan was good for us. My point was, we shouldn't go around helping others if it isn't going to benefit ourselves (I'm speaking on a national level, I don't want to get into individuals here). The act of helping a nation in need doesn't automatically confer a benefit on us - the Marshall Plan did so, but many of the countries we send foreign aid to now does not, as in my example of most sub-Saharan nations.
              That's very patriotic.

Comment

Well, he's also a libertarian...
                I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                  Flesh and blood are not flawed material. They simply are what they are.
                  You say humans are perfect?
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                  Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
                    No I didn't. Saying humans are perfect or not perfect doesn't mean anything.

The same can be said for God btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoid
                      Well, he's also a libertarian...
                      Double plus bad. Or is that double minus bad?

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai

This human is Perfect.
                        APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

Working...
                        X