Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

George Lucas, not content to let dead horse lie, begins raping it with lightsaber...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Lucas, not content to let dead horse lie, begins raping it with lightsaber...

Please, dear God, let this be a family sitcom where a Wookie and an Ewok start a family. Because Lord knows, the furries' time has come...

George Lucas planning 'Star Wars' TV series
    But be forewarned: 'It has nothing to do with Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader,' according to the films' mastermind.
    By Geoff Boucher, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
    October 17, 2007
    Attention, TV executives: The Force may soon be with you.

Filmmaker George Lucas said Tuesday that he has "just begun work" on a live-action television series rooted in the "Star Wars" universe, which is huge news not just for fans of the science-fiction epic but also for networks looking for a piece of the Lucas magic that has grossed $4.3 billion in theaters worldwide.

There is a caveat, though: The proposed series doesn't have anyone named Luke or Anakin in it, a story path that Lucas concedes is "taking chances" as far as connecting with an audience expecting the familiar mythology.

"The Skywalkers aren't in it, and it's about minor characters," Lucas said in an interview. "It has nothing to do with Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader or any of those people. It's completely different. But it's a good idea, and it's going to be a lot of fun to do."

Lucas joked that the series would be about "the life of robots" but wouldn't let any details slip about the true premise. The "extended universe" of "Star Wars" has come to life already in Lucas-sanctioned novels, comics and games that chronicle the history of the Jedi and tell the tales of bit players in the films, such as the bounty hunters from "The Empire Strikes Back."

Lucas already has another television series percolating: Lucas Animation has been working for months on "Star Wars: The Clone Wars," a computer-animated series that he hopes will introduce a new era of visuals to weekly episodic television. Lucas plans to produce it through his own companies before shopping the finished product to networks.

That model may also be used for the live-action show, although producer Rick McCallum said Tuesday that it's too early to say. McCallum is interviewing writers for the live-action series.

Lucas is confident he can find a home for his droids and Jedi, but he also knows the projects are unorthodox enough to give network executives pause.

"They are having a hard time," Lucas said. "They're saying, 'This doesn't fit into our little square boxes,' and I say, 'Well, yeah, but it's "Star Wars." And "Star Wars" doesn't fit into that box.' "
    Interviewing writers? Good, does that mean someone in the Lucasverse recognizes George Lucas can't write dialogue for sh*t?

"Oh, it's you."

*shudder*
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Please god, don't let him canonize any of the EU...
    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

I thought this would be about yet another special effects renovation of the original trilogy.

TV series? Should be interesting.
      Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

I already hate it.
        EViiiiiiL!!! - Mermaid Man

Comment

(1) It's called the Expanded Universe, not the Extended Universe. Edit: Oh, Wikipedia says some people call it the Extended Universe, too. Well those people are wrong.

(2) Yeah. Duh. This was announced two and half years ago at Celebration III by Lucas himself only a few hundred feet from where I was standing.

(3) Every Star Wars fan is going to watch it anyways, even if it is crap.
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
            I hope it.
            I definitely loved the stories about the Yuuzhan Vong.
            Would be great to have them canonized
            and maybe even some time be a part of a SW movie

Same goes for Admiral Thrawn.
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
              Lucas himself only a few hundred feet from where I was standing.
              I envy your success!
              Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
              Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
              giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                I envy your success!
                You have no idea. I stood in a long line on a cold, windy, wet morning with hundreds of other smelly, costumed people just so that I could be in the same room as Lucas. I am a loser.
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Costumed?
                  What Costume did you wear?
                  I hope not Amidala
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Lucasfilms have already said the books are canon material and actually changed minor parts of the original trilogy to agree with the books, not the other way around.
                    if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

This was announced two and half years ago

Yep. This isn't news.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
                        The EU is canon.

Comment

And yep, this is old.

Comment

You have no idea. I stood in a long line on a cold, windy, wet morning with hundreds of other smelly, costumed people just so that I could be in the same room as Lucas. I am a loser.
                            No kidding. Lucas is a hack, I hate the guy. Terrible movies that terrible people like.
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

((2) Yeah. Duh. This was announced two and half years ago at Celebration III by Lucas himself only a few hundred feet from where I was standing.
                              Ya I was there too, my at that time 14 year old had to see Lucas, Im not sure it was worth the wait in line

I only live 50 miles from Indy so it wasn't that big of a deal for me to go and some of the sessions were very interesting especially the ones about all the special effects.

But back on the series, when we Lucas figure out he has beaten the dead horse enough?????
                              *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Working...
                              X