WTO rules against cotton subsidies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTO rules against cotton subsidies.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

As a single ruling this is great news for the world's poor farmers and for American taxpayers. That said I do wish the WTO would just make one comprehensive ruling on farm subsidies instead of dribbling things out one subsidy at a time. Let's bundle all the agricultural direct payment subsidies into one law suit and abolish the whole lot.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Damn. Canadian cotton farmers are going to be screwed.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah, and they already have a pretty hard time

Comment

Pay them to not grow it. China will suffer for it.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
          Yeah, and they already have a pretty hard time
          Have you any idea how hard it is to spot and pick cotton in a snowdrift?
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

wow, the WTO aint been corrupted yet by the member states? It will be...

Comment

The ruling is really meaningless (sorry Oerdin). The US can (and you bet they will) appeal.

Comment

I know the WTO does have a very lengthy appeals process but it seems like Brazil and other effected countries got the go ahead to start imposing fines on items using American cotton. Wouldn't those fines stay in place during the appeals process?

Comment

I've been told that cotton is one of the most thirsty crops out there requiring even more water then rice. What I don't get is why we're paying farmers in places like California and Texas big subsidies to grow cotton when the regional climate is kind of dry. I mean in California they had to shut off several aqueducts last summer because there wasn't enough water for crops, people, and nature but we're subsidizing farmers and encouraging them to grow extremely water intensive crops?

Comment

Heavy rain ruins cotton crops. You're better off irrigating.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                        I mean in California they had to shut off several aqueducts last summer because there wasn't enough water for crops, people, and nature but we're subsidizing farmers and encouraging them to grow extremely water intensive crops?
                        Yea, that's insane.
                        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Read up.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                            Heavy rain ruins cotton crops. You're better off irrigating.
                            Maybe if you had enough water.

Cotton is bad for the air too.
                            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

You're a polyester kind of guy?

Comment

Working...
                              X