Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lowerable supply depots.

Comment

Originally posted by Kataphraktoi More people play SP than MP, ES said their ratio was maybe 10% of people buying age2 would play it online...i dont know about starcraft, but with such huge sales, i doubt a majority played online. Some people really do like playing against the AI, ive seen it firsthand...its inexplicable to a MPer but they think its fun
      The whole nation of South Korea plays MP StarCraft.
      Graffiti in a public toilet
      Do not require skill or wit
      Among the **** we all are poets
      Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Starcraft Brood Wars was the best MP game I ever played, until it was ruined by Koreans playing on weird maps and typing freaked out text.

Lurker rush or Dark Templar rush were favorites. Or in long games, playing Protoss and snatching a worker from the enemy (or an ally), so I could play 2 tribes simultaneuosly.
        So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
        Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

The whole nation of South Korea plays MP StarCraft.
          No they dont, and it doesnt contradict what i said anyway.
          if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Originally posted by Sn00py
            Sigh, those of you who need your pause button sound as if you need it in order to win/be satisfied.

I'm alright with that, but to me, its kind of like having the ability to genetically engineer Superman in a game of civilization and just mow down anyone and anything. Yeah, it's fun, but where's the challenge?

If only we could pause in the real world.
            since someone said the real word I must comment.

Real time is a joke in terms of real time strategy games on a global (or galactic) scale. The time isn't scaled appropiately (if it were- it would take decades to play one game). I've used this example before, but I feel it fits. Do you think bush had microseconds to decide where to place his troops for the Iraq war? No, he had months to plan this out. Strategic games should not be real time, plain and simple. Now squad level should be real time, I understand that, or maybe even tactical. But it's silly to plan an entire world war in 1/2 second. this does not reflect real life at all. Generals take days or months to plan some attacks, not seconds.

thus the only reason to argue for non-pausing is for gameplay purposes. RTS are popular because they can reward fast thinkers (not me ). It gives them the edge over superior strategic thinkers. I think it allows someone not that smart to win the game, hence why RTS is much, much, much more popular than TBS games. For me it's just the opposite, I did not grow up on video games, I've always been slow, so I simply cannot beat a RTS that does not allow pausing (unless it has lower difficulty levels).

It's Blizzard's game, they can do what they want. If they feel that you must be fast to play and be successful at their game, they can do that. But they are limiting their market. Seeing the broad appeal they tried to put on wow, I think they will attempt to do something to appeal to slower strategy gamers. But in some ways pausing can be a crutch, and it's hard to get off things like that. They may decide to not implement it so people don't become dependent on that.

The only reason to make it real time is for gameplay reasons over reality. That's something the designers decide for themselves.

Comment

Actually, it seems to me that Bush did spend about 5 seconds planning his Iraq war strategy. It's a Protoss vs. Zerg sort of campaign we've got going on there (in terms of tactics, not morals), and the silly n00b didn't prepare for the rush. Or something.
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio
                I've never played an RTS game where there was any need to pause in the game, none of the MP RTS games I've played had a pause function

No, completely wrong. SP is not for practicing MP only, it's for a lot of people also to be able to play a relaxing game, so there's no point in not having it

Pause is for when the phone rings and it is somebody you need to talk to (at least long enough to tell 'em you'll call back), or walk the dog, or take similar walk to the head for your own needs, etc.
                (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
                  In Warcraft III you had a limited amount of pauses for emergency use and it had a fixed time limit.

SP in RTS is for practicing for MP, so there's no point having pause and give orders.
                  Because, Lord knows, you don't want to be able to analyse your tactics during a practice session, right?

If it's just practice, you can use pause-with-orders to fine tune your strategy, then practice that strategy without pause to improve your speed of execution.
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Err, no, for practice you play on slower speeds.

For real you play at fast/fastest speeds.

If it isn't possible to do at slowest speeds, then I wouldn't be trying to do it.

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                      Err, no, for practice you play on slower speeds.

For real you play at fast/fastest speeds.

This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk

Because, Lord knows, you don't want to be able to analyse your tactics during a practice session, right?

If it's just practice, you can use pause-with-orders to fine tune your strategy, then practice that strategy without pause to improve your speed of execution.
                        Having that option available will invariably alter teh available strategies, especially if SP campaign developers assume that people will use it and design teh campaigns accordingly.
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                          Having that option available will invariably alter teh available strategies, especially if SP campaign developers assume that people will use it and design teh campaigns accordingly.
                          Not really... at least I haven't seen any RTS games with that option enabled and that the campaign is designed around that option...
                          This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Seriously, is the pause functionality the thing you find most interesting about Starcraft II or do you guys just like arguing? How about some really cool things like drop pods or the Thor unit? How about those new Protoss units?
                            EViiiiiiL!!! - Mermaid Man

Comment

Drop pods are cool. Thor sounds silly IMO.
                              Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                              Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

The Thor looks silly as well. Why didn't they just make it a tank?

Comment

Working...
                                X