Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wiglaf
    Very well Mingz.

I think this "Coming out day" can have a good impact by making repressed teens/young adults be more open about their sexuality. Holding in feelings is never good and it's nice these people recognize that.

I do not think that they should be pushing for political purposes, eg the site advocates abolishing Don't ask Don't tell. It smears conservatives who favor this policy as bigots and lunatics, and quotes Gen. Pace calling gays "immoral."

It'd have been nicer if they were less biased here and recognized that having gay military units (75-80% male) can be a fatal distraction on the battlefield.

The organization, or whoever the hell sponsors this, should focus more on people coming out and less on a leftist agenda.
    Maybe Martin Luther King Jr. should have been less blatantly biased in his people's civil rights struggle?
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot
      I'd say something, but I don't want to continue anything in the wrong vein.

I went to a social event tonight, and me and my best gay friend were able to inform several people on issues they were ignorant to. It was quite pleasant. I feel like I've done a small part now in the name of Coming out day.

awesome

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs

And yet, reality says you're full of sh*t. As of '02, 23 countries lifted such bans and had no problems of cohesion or readiness. No one can accuse the Israeli military as being "an army of poofters." They're pretty hardcore by virtue of necessity, what with historically hostile countries in all three land directions and the briny deep to the west. The British seem to do just fine too.

This "ban the gays" nonsense in the US military is shared by militaries of such enlightened countries as Cuba, China, North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Syria, Iran and Egypt. Even Russia and Turkey, hardly stalwarts of liberty and freedom, have less paranoid rules on openly homosexual persons serving than the US does.
        Oh, come on. You and Mr Funnypants claim most Americans are homophobic. Do you really think throwing thousands of openly gay men into the military will go off without a hitch? There'd be problems...and problems in a military unit are to be avoided at all costs.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot
          It's on Wednesday, right?

I still haven't heard much about it around Montreal, but I'm not in the community like I used to be.
          Actually the 11th of October is this Thursday

We just celebrated our annual "Castro Street Fair" today. Of course there were other sights to be had as well since this weekend was also "Fleet Week"
          Last edited by Wittlich; October 8, 2007, 01:14.

Comment

Oh, come on. You and Mr Funnypants claim most Americans are homophobic. Do you really think throwing thousands of openly gay men into the military will go off without a hitch? There'd be problems...and problems in a military unit are to be avoided at all costs.
            Why don't other countries (already cited) have these "problems"?
            "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

And this same argument was used when African Americans were first introduced into our military...so what is your point Wiglaf?
              "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
              "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Originally posted by Wittlich

And this same argument was used when African Americans were first introduced into our military...so what is your point Wiglaf?

Beat me with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Wittlich

Actually the 11th of October is this Thursday

We just celebrated our annual "Castro Street Fair" today. Of course there were other sights to be had as well since this weekend was also "Fleet Week"

Comment

Oh, come on. You and Mr Funnypants claim most Americans are homophobic.
                    When and where have I ever claimed this?

Do you really think throwing thousands of openly gay men into the military will go off without a hitch?
                    A Zogby poll in December of active service personnel in Iraq and Afghanistan showed 73% SUPPORT for gays in the military; 23% knew of gays in their unit mostly from that person directly.

There'd be problems...and problems in a military unit are to be avoided at all costs.
                    And yet, active US soldiers think you're full of sh*t too.
                    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs

When and where have I ever claimed this?

I'd like to know where I have made this claim, too.

Comment

Do you really think throwing thousands of openly gay men into the military will go off without a hitch? There'd be problems...and problems in a military unit are to be avoided at all costs.
                        Oh, and I should note that the opposite of your argument here is true, that throwing thousands of gay people (men and women) OUT of the military has caused problems. The most glaring of which are finding adequate numbers of capable translators when we're in dire need of them in both Iraq, Afghanistan, and intelligence gathering and analysis.

Comment

In my experience, no matter the attitude of a person, if they find themselves a new friend, and find out that the good person they have come to respect is gay, they tend to disarm their prejudices rather quickly. Afterall, if their good friend is gay, they can't be so bad, can they?
                          Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

To which Wiggly Puff and other knuckle-draggers would probably respond, "Their probably just trying to be friendly to do nasty unnatural sex with the soldeir friend."

Comment

I'd just like to note that Eventis, the forum of freedom, fully endorses pwning anti-gay nubs on the forums. In fact, Mr. Ben Kenobi has repeatedly attempted to defend his homophobic stances, and has provided hours of entertainment for everybody involved.

If Wiggles would like, Eventian citizenship awaits him.
                              Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                              Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Hell, a poll this past June of JUST Republican respondents showed 49% supported gays in the military and 42% opposed. In that same poll, 77% said gays should have the same employment protection for being homosexual as women have for being women and ethnic minorities have for being ethnic minorities. 53% have had enough of the Republican Party meddling with social issues and not having enough focus on traditional economic issues.

Comment

Working...
                                X