Shocker: Letting kids experiment with drinking early, reduces binging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker: Letting kids experiment with drinking early, reduces binging

Over dinner recently, Anna Peele recalls one of the first times she drank alcohol. "I was like 14 or 15," Peele says. "I ordered a beer and they served me."

Author: Letting kids drink early reduces binging

By Jennifer Pifer
    CNN

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- Over dinner recently, Anna Peele recalls one of the first times she drank alcohol. "I was like 14 or 15," Peele says. "I ordered a beer and they served me."

She had just finished her freshman year of high school and was traveling in Greece with family friends. "We would just have wine with dinner," Peele says. "In Greece it's so not a big deal."

While that experience would cause some American parents to worry, Peele's parents weren't upset.

In fact, starting in middle school, her parents allowed her and her siblings to have an occasional sip of beer or wine. By the time she was in high school, Peele was drinking beer and wine regularly at family functions and social events. But it was always in moderation, Peele says. She says her parents' attitude toward alcohol made it seem less mysterious. "It wasn't some forbidden fruit," Peele says. "I didn't have to go out to a field with my friends and have 18 beers."

Experts say binge drinking continues to be a growing problem across the country. According to a recent report from the U.S. surgeon general, there are nearly 11 million underage drinkers in the United States. Nearly 7.2 million are considered binge drinkers, meaning they drank more than five drinks in one sitting.

In this age of "just say no," some people believe it is time for Americans to reconsider how they teach kids about alcohol. Peele's father is at the top of the list.

"We taught them to drink in a civilized fashion, like a civilized human being," says Stanton Peele, psychologist and author of "Addiction-Proof Your Child."

He says many of the programs set up to stop alcohol abuse contribute to the teen binge-drinking crisis. Any program that tells kids flatly not to drink creates temptation, he says. "Preparing your child to drink at home lessens the likelihood that they are going to binge drink," he says. "Not sharing alcohol with your child is a risk factor for binge drinking."

Peele says other cultures have figured it out. He points to Italy, Greece and Israel, where children are given small amounts of wine at religious celebrations or watered-down alcohol on special occasions.

But many other experts say the psychologist is off base. "That's ridiculous," says Calvina Fay, executive director of the Drug Free America Foundation. "By allowing teens to drink," Fay says, "you are giving permission to your children to do harmful things."

[...]

Fay also says Stanton Peele doesn't take into account other consequences of teen drinking, such as unsafe sex and drunken driving. "You don't have to be addicted to be harmed or die because of drugs and alcohol."

But the psychologist contends that kids are going to drink no matter what and that it is critical for parents to set the example. "I think the key to preventing all kinds of addiction is to make sure that your child values life, values himself and has purpose in life," he says. "That's the single most important thing."

Now 19, Anna Peele is a sophomore at New York University. She wants to be an actress. She does drink with her friends, but she says that it's always in moderation and that she is well aware of her responsibilities. "Your parents expect you to do your work and get the most out of your education. ... They're not paying for us to drink."
    I find it remarkable that CNN compares professional psychologists to "experts" such as Calvina Fay, executive director of the Drug Free America Foundation, who is a stupid nobody.
    Professor Fay holds a master's degree in business administration

This is exactly the same with everything you do.

Abstinence is a ****ty way of prevention, because teens will do what the heck they want anyway. So its better to teach them early on.

Alcohol, Drugs, Sex, Smoking. The sooner you let your kid know and allow him to make an independent choise - he will.

Teaching abstinence (and explaining why) worked for my parents with me and my brothers and sisters. I've never even had an inclination to drink, smoke, or do drugs.

There's no one right way... kids and situations will vary.

Comment

I think that it is rare though, that kids will resist a huge amount of social pressure and listen to their parents.

lusted after forbidden fruit are always bad ideas.

From my experience, those friends of mine whose families were more dictating regarding their choises on alcohol / sex, ended up making the worse choises.

Comment

I tihnk it is more dependent on the culture. If the culture encourges binging, then allowing kids to drink earlier will encourage binging earlier.

On the other hand, if the culture encourages moderate responsible drinking, then that will occur.

Generally, the people I know who had the worst problems with alcohol/drugs in middle school and high school were the ones whose parents allowed/introduced them to it.

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

There wasn't all that much social pressure where I grew up, most of the communities we lived in had a large percentage LDS or otherwise had "conservative" values. Like I said, situations will vary. (This is what people seem to forget. Any "one size fits all" solution is going to fail.)

There was bit of pressure, but it wasn't like I was thinking, "Mom and Dad said..." in any case. Even when my best friend's older sister offered me a cigarette when I was like 6-7 I remember looking at her like she was stupid. Smells bad and gives you cancer. Real hard choice there! I knew what the effects of their use was, and knew I didn't care for putting that crap in my body.

Comment

Hmmm.

I've had access alcohol since was like... 10? lol. Not anything real, but just shandy (beer mixed with lemonade) or like a few sips of the froth from like my Dad's glass of beer (he'd encourage it).

There was no alcohol is teh evil policy in my home. My parents would drink in extreme moderation (I don't think my Dad ever drinks more than a single stubby per evening), and they'd let me and my siblings to the same, proportionally.

One theory:
            Beer tastes horrible, alcohol in general does too (this isn't the theory part). Kids, probably wont like it. If exposed to it at an early age - when kids are naturally more "fussy" about unfamiliar foods, it might well lead to them generally disliking alcohol. Younger kids learn infinitely better than teens*, so a lesson about alcohol learned early is more likely to stick .

I have been drunk once, 1 time, at my 21st. Since then I've damn near abstained from alcohol. Been there, done that. Before that time I used to drink in extreme moderation.
            My siblings are the same, I think my Sister used to drink a bit more at university than I did, but only like getting drunk maybe a dozen times ever, and I'm pretty sure she pretty much abstains now too (except extremely socially).
            My bother, I think, has never been drunk, but I may be wrong. He drinks in extreme moderation, like my Dad.

In any case, in my home, there were no rules about drinking. At best we were given mild encouragement to try it and no pressure or stigma beyond that. Sort of like "Try it so you know you don't like it", lol.

* With learning, the ability to learn drops off quite dramatically after about 15. In short, as age increases, it's increasingly likely things will ONLY be learned the hard way. Teaching kids things is easy and it sticks. Older people are mules when it comes to learning.

edit:
            More thoughts:

"Do as I say, not as I do" is known to not work, at all. My parents were just like "Do as we do". They acted responsibly and taught that responsibility in the wisest way possible.
            I can see the same thing would work for abstinence assuming the parents themselves abstain.
            And if the parents are binge drinkers and encourage their kids? Well, yeah.... I've seen that too.

Comment

I binged drinked.. and I liked alcohol (not beer,liquor) from when I first tried it.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

The assessment in the OP certainly applies to me. I started drinking with company at nine, when a family friend came down from PA with his homemade wine. Got mildly tipsy over a good meal once a month, plus I got a good feel for the effects of alcohol and how much is enough. After that, guess how appealing it was to drink crappy beer in a dorm room? Hint: the answer is not "very."

I'll drink and get loaded from time to time, but I've never been stupid enough to drink till I threw up like most of my peers. I credit my early introduction to alcohol, at least in part.
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I don't call this conclusive, and alcoholics don't necessarily "binge" drink. Does that make simple alcoholism better? Not particularly.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

It does make sense.

Imagine having 8 years of "training" in drinking in moderation.

vs having 0 years of "training" in drinking in moderation.

Who is going to succeed better at drinking in moderation?

Old established habits are hard to break, but picking up new bad habits is relatively easy.

Comment

Again, untrue. Anyone that says they like the taste of any type alcohol at first is a liar. Don't trust anything else they say, because they're a liar. Ditto smoking cigarettes.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Fruity drinks always tasted good.

Order of drinks: (first 3 drinking occasons)
                        Coke + Rum? or something like that. I liked it. I often forget about this one. I didn't like it a lot, just as much as coke (not much).

Irish Coffee (whiskey + coffee). I really liked this, but then I like coffee.

I didn't feel a tihng from the first 2 occasions.

Some 17 or so drinks, including gin and juice, old wise man, a few other shots, tequila sunrise, margarita, etc? Was very drunk from this.. started by binging.

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

You can also greatly reduce bing drinking by not being Native American, Irish, or Finnish.

Comment

Those kinds of drinks are far more drinkable than beer/wine.

Comment

Again, untrue. Anyone that says they like the taste of any type alcohol at first is a liar. Don't trust anything else they say, because they're a liar. Ditto smoking cigarettes.
                              True, which is exactly the reason why one's first drinking experiences should be with responsible adult oversight, and without possibility of peer pressure.

The better way to do it, is to start letting your kid drink on occasions at home or with family, before late high school, when everyone are already illegally drinking.

Comment

Working...
                              X