England destroyed by tornadoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• England destroyed by tornadoes

They have apparently struck Hampshire, the West Midlands, Bedfordshire, East Riding of Yorkshire, Northamptonshire and Warwickshire already this morning.

Where next, who is safe?
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Ah, England. We hardly knew ye.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Fine and dandy down in Sussex however
      Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
      -Richard Dawkins

Comment

It's y'all's own fault for harboring the Wicked Witch of the East
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Nature 1 Civilization 0
          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Ludd must have creamed his misanthropic pants at the New Orleans disaster.

Comment

Civilization 0 my ass. Don't we get to count all the species we've driven to extinction? We're totally kicking nature's ass.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Really. We've got the trump card too, nukes. Good-bye Amazon rain forest

Comment

Wouldn't be 100 years after Armageddon that Nature would be back up and running like nothing had happened. Civilization might not fare so well, on the other hand.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

We're the only ones who can off this rock. Afterwards, we can pretty much sterilize it. You just need enough delta-V on a big enough asteroid or comet and we might even get another moon.

Comment

I'm curious about that notion that we are not a part of nature.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                        I'm curious about that notion that we are not a part of nature.
                        I don't entirely agree with this quote but it sums up the general sentiment pretty well, I think:

Originally posted by Agent Smith
                        I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure.
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I was thinking along those lines, and that exact quote in fact.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X