Is it homophobic to not like 'camp'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pekka
    You know, limp wrist, and limp everything and talking like a teenager, "ohmyGOood he is soooo cute". Just ****ing irritating.
    This is my point. To find this irritating would result in accusations of homophobia from some quarters. The same logic would imply that to find 'gangsta' behaviour irritating is racist.

Comment

Nah... it's not homophobic at all IMO. Homophobes would hate it most likely, but it doesn't make one a homophobe to not particularly like it.

If someone calls you a homophobe for it, just call them racist. If they get all upset about it and winded up, you know, you win .
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
        Of our gay colleagues here, some appear camp, like Starchild, while others come across as not-camp, like Asher. Are you camp, Asher?
        Not in the slightest.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I mentioned Liza Minelli because I made a youtube search for camp and found this

I need a foot massage

Comment

not homophobic. camp is just dumb

Comment

Cort Haus might be a bug chaser
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Alright, I'll bite. WTF is a "bug chaser"?

edit - nm, I wiki'd it. That is truly disturbing.
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Bugchasing (or bug chasing) is a slang term for a subculture of gay men who desire, and actively pursue HIV infection. Bugchasers "chase the bug" by seeking sexual partners who are HIV positive for the purpose of having unprotected sex and sero-converting; giftgivers are HIV+ men who attempt to infect bugchasers with HIV.
                  Google more if oyu want to, something can be found on Youtube as well. Pretty fascinating because it's so sick
                  In da butt.

Comment

Thanx Pekka, but I now know more about the subject than I wanted too.
                    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

It's quite fascinating because some of these bug chasers are _desperate_ to get HIV. I mean desperate. And the giftgivers are like I already have HIV, why the hell should I care if I'm infecting someone else.

Fascinating. They're literally begging for giftgivers to poz in their neg hole.
                      In da butt.

Comment

Re: Is it homophobic to not like 'camp'?

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                        Is it homophobic to not like 'camp'?
                        No.

Also : Do camp media stars that make a living out of the camp style help to break down barriers, or do they reinforce stereotypes?

Both. It depends on the audience.

Are camp TV personalities like black-and-white minstrels?

No.

Are there enough gay characters on TV where their sexuality is not worn on their sleeve?

No.

Are there gay men who are not keen on the camp style?

Yes.

Thoughts and opinions on these questions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Okay.
                        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

you learn something new everyday. what are they? sympathy whores? I mainly see that attitude in women.

Comment

:stumblesaroundlookingforareply:

WTF Pekka?

Comment

Another victim of a Pekka drive-by shooting.
                              Last edited by Wezil; September 11, 2007, 22:32.

Comment

Wow. I'm about four days late, AFAICT, but welcome back, Asher!
                                1011 1100
                                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                                X