EU gives up on 'metric Britain'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wezil
    Thrilling news! A whole fingerprints weight in uncertainty. The world trembles.

Comment

Originally posted by thesilentone

Thrilling news! A whole fingerprints weight in uncertainty. The world trembles.
      Posted for interest sake. Put what you will in it.

Geez.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Sorry, wasn't having a go at you. You'd think the grand kilo would be obsolete now though, don't we have better fallbacks now?

Comment

I'm neither a mathematician nor a scientist so I have no idea if it matters or not. I just found it curious and somewhat related to the topic.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Sorry, wasn't having a go at you. You'd think the grand kilo would be obsolete now though, don't we have better fallbacks now?
            You'd think so - they could relate the definition of the kilogram to somthing more universal - eg, the weight of 1 litre of water at precise standard temperature and pressure, or something - it is tricky though.
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

OK. So if the kg is starting to represent less mass, I'm pretty sure that the mass present in 1 mol of Carbon 12 is increasing...seeing how it is measured in grams...
              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Depends on the definition of a kg. If you specified that Avogadro's number was a constant and specified that a certain number of moles of "something" at a specific temperature and pressure was equal to a kg, then you would be fine. However it is different if you define it as a particular lump of metal somewhere in France.
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Do we have the equivalent to the grand kilo in milligrams? Or nanograms? I'm not sure if there's any delicate nano work that needs to be weighed to be accurate but if there is, how do they measure that accurately? The mole count/temperature/pressure thing PH mentioned?

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                    Depends on the definition of a kg. If you specified that Avogadro's number was a constant and specified that a certain number of moles of "something" at a specific temperature and pressure was equal to a kg, then you would be fine.
                    Do you think temperature and pressure effect inertial mass?
                    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Re: the drug weights thing. Some weed dealers in Reading switched to grams years ago which led to a very funny situation for some of my friends.

They went to a house to buy weed from some huge jamaican guys and the jamaican guys were saying to them "Do you want tree grain?"

My friends thought, oh my god, what the hell is tree grain? It sounds awesome but we have no idea what it is so they said "can we get some skunk?" and the jamaican said "do you want tree grain?" This went on for a while and they started to get a bit scared, until they realised he was just saying "Three grams" in a very thick accent...

I'll always remember that those jamaicans had business cards saying "Black Peoples Association Painters and Decorators".
                      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

Whilst I wouldn't complain if our leaders were more attractive are you honestly suggesting we should exclude the ugly ones?
                        I thought that's something we'd all agree to.
                        Blah

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro

I thought that's something we'd all agree to.
                          We are all Sun readers?

The Daily Mirror is read by people who think they run the country;
                          The Guardian is read by people who think they ought to run the country;
                          The Times is read by people who actually do run the country;
                          The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country;
                          The Financial Times is read by people who own the country;
                          The Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by another country;
                          The Daily Telegraph is read by people who think it is their country.
                          Sun readers don’t care who runs the country, as long as she’s got big tits.
                          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney
                            and don't you mean british subject btw?

we stopped being British subjects after 1948
                            Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                            Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                              We are all Sun readers?
                              Maybe it's not fact, but certainly FACT!
                              Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                                The Daily Mirror is read by people who think they run the country;
                                The Guardian is read by people who think they ought to run the country;
                                The Times is read by people who actually do run the country;
                                The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country;
                                The Financial Times is read by people who own the country;
                                The Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by another country;
                                The Daily Telegraph is read by people who think it is their country.
                                Sun readers don’t care who runs the country, as long as she’s got big tits.
                                Is that from Yes Minister?

Comment

Working...
                                X