EU gives up on 'metric Britain'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EU gives up on 'metric Britain'

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Boo. I prefer metric. And I hate the argument that it would be confusing to switch over. Other countries have managed it, what makes the British so thick that we can't learn a new system?
    Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
    -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Maintaining the Oceania/Eurasia divide
        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

a victory for common sense.
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Yay !
            Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Yes !

More for me when talking physics or chemistry to a UK or USian
              "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Re: EU gives up on 'metric Britain'

I'm suprised they didn't surrender sooner.
                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Can you imagine walking into a pub and asking for five-eighths of a litre of beer, or whatever it is?

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild
                    Boo. I prefer metric. And I hate the argument that it would be confusing to switch over. Other countries have managed it, what makes the British so thick that we can't learn a new system?
                    It's not about learning a new system, it's about being forced to use it.

While we're spending a hefty whack of our GNP changing all the road signs, should we switch to driving on the right too?

Comment

A good move. Metric has mostly won in the UK anyway, no point prosecuting a few pensioners for something so harmless.

Comment

While we're spending a hefty whack of our GNP changing all the road signs, should we switch to driving on the right too?
                        If you'd be so kind, yes. And if you could rename Scotland Yard to Scotland Dwarf Metre, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by dannubis
                          Yes !

We might buy a pound of bananas but I don't think anyone's seriously used anything other than metric in UK science or engineering for a very long time.
                          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                          We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by dannubis
                            Yes !

Physicists use whatever units are best suited to the problem, whether that is CGS, or SI or MeV/etc.

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

What the hell is so hard about switching to metric? Canada switched just fine, and we're better off for it.

Grow a spine, UK.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X