No announcement yet.

EU gives up on 'metric Britain'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTF has the EU got to do with a Maple-syrup-munching Kiwi anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney

look at the little belgian, thinking he's all important because he gets to use the same money as his french and german overlords. so cute.

Still basking in the glaze of being a FORMER empire aren't we ?
      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
        FWIW, I think temperature in Celsius, petrol prices in litres, but petrol consumption in gallons, beer and milk in pints, wine and soft drinks in litres.

Not that I take illegal substances, of course, but if I did, hash would be in fractions of an ounce, and powders in grams.

TBH this is more about the benefits of the EU ceding a drop of it's authority than the practicalities of measuring systems. I agree that 'old money' was insane.
        that is exactly the example i first thought of.

"The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

WTF has the EU got to do with a Maple-syrup-munching Kiwi anyway?
          I'm an EU citizen, I'll have you know.
          Only feebs vote.

Comment

my country gave you a passport?! good grief, we'll let anyone in these days.
            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

and don't you mean british subject btw?

Comment

Considering that the metric system relies on the ability to use multiples of 10 I can understand why the EU has given up on us .
                "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

The French are superior in that the last presidential election fielded two candidates who were both sexually attractive. I can't see why women like Sarkozy, but Segolene Royal has the hint of a cougar about her, so between both there was something for everyone, except the furries.

Meanwhile.. in Britain
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

Or did some other country extended the hand of citizenship?

Comment

Or did some other country extended the hand of citizenship?
                      The Geordie nation, ye knaa.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Not that I take illegal substances, of course, but if I did, hash would be in fractions of an ounce, and powders in grams.

As to the topic, EU does overregulate stuff and needs a slap on the wrist now and then.

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney

so you measure distance in kilometres? your height in centremetres? drink half litres of beer? etc.

somehow i don't think so.
                          I can measure in km, I am more sure of my height and weight in metric and a pint is a pint - I think of it as a half litre and a bit
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                            The French are superior in that the last presidential election fielded two candidates who were both sexually attractive. I can't see why women like Sarkozy, but Segolene Royal has the hint of a cougar about her, so between both there was something for everyone, except the furries.

Meanwhile.. in Britain
                            Whilst I wouldn't complain if our leaders were more attractive are you honestly suggesting we should exclude the ugly ones?

And I've seen this thread on 3 different forums now, never fails to bring out the anti-britain trolls, it's hilarious how angry people can get about us not putting 60 year old grocers in jail for selling a pound of fruit.

Comment

PARIS (AP) - A kilogram just isn't what it used to be.

A 118-year-old cylinder that has been the international prototype for the metric mass, and kept tightly under lock and key outside Paris, is mysteriously losing its weight - if ever so slightly.

Physicist Richard Davis of the International Bureau of Weights and Measures in Sevres, southwest of Paris, says the reference kilo appears to have lost 50 micrograms compared with the average of dozens of copies.

"The mystery is that they were all made of the same material, and many were made at the same time and kept under the same conditions, and yet the masses among them are slowly drifting apart," he said.

"We don't really have a good hypothesis for it," Davis said in a phone interview Wednesday.

But only the one in Sevres really counts. It is kept in a triple-locked safe at a chateau and only rarely sees the light of day - mostly for comparison with other cylinders shipped in periodically from around the world.

"It's not clear whether the original has become lighter, or the national prototypes have become heavier," said Michael Borys, a senior researcher with Germany's national measures institute in Braunschweig. "But by definition, only the original represents exactly a kilogram."

The kilogram's inconstancy illustrates how technological progress is leaving science's most basic measurements in its dust. The cylinder was high-tech for its day in 1889 when cast from a platinum and iridium alloy, measuring 3.9 centimetres in diameter and height.

At a November meeting of scientists in Paris, an advisory panel on measurements will present possible steps toward basing the kilogram and other measures - like Kelvin for temperature, and the mole for amount - on more precise calculations. Ultimately, policy-makers from around the world would have to agree to any change.

Even countries that don't use the metric system could be affected by the kilogram's uncertainty: the kilogram is also the ultimate weight standard for the U.S. customary system, where it equals 2.2 pounds.

But don't expect the questions about the kilo to lead to public campaigns to lower the price of bread, or cause wary waistline-watchers to re-examine their weights: 50 micrograms is roughly equivalent to the weight of a fingerprint.

"For the lay person, it won't mean anything," said Davis. "The kilogram will stay the kilogram, and the weights you have in a weight set will all still be correct."

But for scientists who rely on the official kilogram for minute measurements every day, the inconstant metric constant is a nuisance - threatening calculation of things like electricity generation.

"They depend on a mass measurement and it's inconvenient for them to have a definition of the kilogram which is based on some artifact," said Davis, who is American.

Many measurements have undergone makeovers over the years.

The metre was once defined as roughly the distance between scratches on a bar, a far cry from today's high-tech standard involving the distance that light travels in a vacuum.

One of the leading alternatives considered for a 21st-century kilogram is a sphere made out of a Silicon-28 isotope crystal, which would involve a single type of atom and have a fixed mass.

"We could obviously use a better definition," Davis said.

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Morans
                                So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                                Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Working...
                                X