Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I had a very interesting encounter on a streetcar today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had a very interesting encounter on a streetcar today.

I am standing in the middle, minding my own business. A pair of young conservative(?) Jews enter, wearing black suits and black hats with that yarn thing dangling from their belt. They looked to be in their late teens. Mind you, this is a streetcar that basically goes from the trendy hipster area where I work (Queen St West) through China Town to the subway. So they looked somewhat out of place.

One of them approached me, and they said "Excuse me, are you Jewish?". I was stunned for a second, then said "No." He immediately continued down the car without another word, or ever looking at me.

My question is -- WTF is that?

1) Do I look Jewish? Do my blue eyes give me away?
    2) Why would you ask a random person that?
    3) Why would you refrain from any kind of contact after asking that question, even a polite "Sorry" or anything like that?

Did they consider themselves better than me, and since I responded that I was not jewish I was not worthy of conversation?

Very disturbing.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Distubíng no, puzzling yes

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

I find it disturbing.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Re: I had a very interesting encounter on a streetcar today.

Originally posted by Asher
        I am standing in the middle, minding my own business. A pair of young conservative(?) Jews enter, wearing black suits and black hats with that yarn thing dangling from their belt. They looked to be in their late teens. Mind you, this is a streetcar that basically goes from the trendy hipster area where I work (Queen St West) through China Town to the subway. So they looked somewhat out of place.

One of them approached me, and they said "Excuse me, are you Jewish?". I was stunned for a second, then said "No." He immediately continued down the car without another word, or ever looking at me.

My question is -- WTF is that?

1) Do I look Jewish? Do my blue eyes give me away?
        2) Why would you ask a random person that?
        3) Why would you refrain from any kind of contact after asking that question, even a polite "Sorry" or anything like that?

Did they consider themselves better than me, and since I responded that I was not jewish I was not worthy of conversation?

Very disturbing.

1.Based on their dress, they are almost certainly not Conservative Jews, but Orthodox Jews, and Ultra-Orthodox Jews at that, not "modern Orthodox". Did you really think all along that I was Orthodox?

2. My guess as to their odd behavior, is that they were members of a group called "Chabad" which proselytizes non-Orthodox Jews to become more observant of Jewish law. Had you said "yes" they probably would have offered show you how to participate in some prayer or other ritual action. Since you weren't Jewish, they weren't interested in you, as they don't proselytize non-Jews

3. Why were they abrupt - many ultra-Orthodox Jews are not very culturally assimilated, and their notions of politeness (towards everyone, not just non-Jews) vary considerably from Western ones.

4. Why they chose YOU I dont know. Perhaps their were no likelier looking prospects on the street car.

All of the above is for information, in response to your questions. I hope all is well with you, otherwise.

Have a nice day.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

What where you doing on a streetcar?
          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Maybe he was gay, thought you looked hot, and asked...hoping.

Comment

LOTM take your jewishly-charged rambling somewhere else. Everyone knows that a lot of jewish people are tight with money and act superior. It is not just the Chabads or the Ding hows. It is most jewish people, much like mormons.

Comment

many ultra-Orthodox Jews are not very culturally assimilated, and their notions of politeness (towards everyone, not just non-Jews) vary considerably from Western ones.
                BS BS BS BS

I know Jehovah's witnesses are total tools when I reject them. Anyone who is hardcore religious starts acting like a douche bag whenever you say "No thanks." It is not a matter of assimilation...it's just that religious cooks (aka orthodox anything) are ass holes.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf

I know Jehovah's witnesses are total tools when I reject them. Anyone who is hardcore religious starts acting like a douche bag whenever you say "No thanks." It is not a matter of assimilation...it's just that religious cooks (aka orthodox anything) are ass holes.
                  I cant speak for Jehovahs witnesses. I have spent considerable time with Ultra-Orthodox Jews, and my observation is that their approaches to conversation with each other, etc are different than those of western people, including assimilated Jews.

You can choose not to believe me of course. I believe there are published sources on issues of cultural assimilation and westernization, but I dont have any handy at the moment.
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
                    LOTM take your jewishly-charged rambling somewhere else. Everyone knows that a lot of jewish people are tight with money and act superior. It is not just the Chabads or the Ding hows. It is most jewish people, much like mormons.
                    I really hate when stupid, poor people keep spreading lies like this about us.
                    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael

I really hate when stupid, poor people keep spreading lies like this about us.
                      I thought you were Buddhist.
                      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Colon™
                        What where you doing on a streetcar?
                        I take it to get to work each day, since Toronto has major flaws:
                        1) Underdeveloped subway
                        2) Vastly underdeveloped road network

I need to take a streetcar -- which is also infuriating -- to get to work.

Comment

Re: Re: I had a very interesting encounter on a streetcar today.

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                          1.Based on their dress, they are almost certainly not Conservative Jews, but Orthodox Jews, and Ultra-Orthodox Jews at that, not "modern Orthodox". Did you really think all along that I was Orthodox?
                          I'm confused what this has to do with you.

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                          3. Why were they abrupt - many ultra-Orthodox Jews are not very culturally assimilated, and their notions of politeness (towards everyone, not just non-Jews) vary considerably from Western ones.
                          I've noticed this with several of my New York colleagues (about 60% of them are Jewish -- the end of this week is going to be brutal for me covering everyone's work...). They'll call and immediately begin rambling about something, then abruptly hang up without a "goodbye" or "thanks" or anything like that. I'm glad we have IP phones that show the call status, otherwise I'd keep talking to a dead line...

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                            I thought you were Buddhist.
                            Heavens no.

My father is Jewish and I associate much more strongly with the Jewish side of my family than the Catholic.

I am not a Jew, though; I just call myself one sometimes because Hitler (sorry, Godwin) wouldn't have quibbled over my diluted ancestry.

I am also not a Buddhist, but Buddhist philosophy and ideals resonate with me more so than any other religion I have looked into.
                            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

lol Jewddhist
                              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
                              X