Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIght, but that's the problem. EDGE IS crap. It's 3G where it's at, and in this regard, US has a problem. I don't know about Canada, do you have enough networks?
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pekka
      RIght, but that's the problem. EDGE IS crap. It's 3G where it's at, and in this regard, US has a problem. I don't know about Canada, do you have enough networks?
      Canada has 3 major networks:

Bell (CDMA, EV-DO rev A) - 3.5Mbit/sec
      Telus (CDMA, EV-DO rev A) - 3.5Mbit/sec
      Rogers (GSM, EDGE) - 0.4-0.7Mbit/sec
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
        From what I've read, Europe has CDMA access....I bet if you compared the maps, you'll find them identical.

I know of zero countries with GSM but no CDMA access. I think the myth that GSM is more global is just because Europeans see it as the dominant implementation there. In Japan and Canada and the US, the picture looks much different.

My poor friends in Canada on the GSM networks have painfully slow connections. Sending pictures takes quite a while, mine are virtually instantaneous...
        As you can see, not completely the same coverage. Africa and Europe seem to be worse off. As for GSM being slow. Well, it's a very old technology, which is being phased out. GSM's speed is like an old modem's, 38.4 kbps. But with GPRS, an enhancement technology that has been standard for a few years now, the speed is 170 kbps maximum. Like a slow broadband line a few years ago in other words, but truth to be told it's seldom faster than 40 kbps I'm told. Another technology that is not wholly standard, but widespread, is EDGE, which gives a maximum speed of 236 kbps. But what is taking over the market now, is 3G of course. UMTS (3G) gives atm a speed of 384 kbps, and will give 2 mbps at a later date according to the authorities.
        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Looks like a pretty global map to me. And I won't be going to those non-CDMA African nations any time soon.
          Half of Europe's out. But yeah.
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

• Originally posted by Nikolai
            As you can see, not completely the same coverage. Africa and Europe seem to be worse off. As for GSM being slow. Well, it's a very old technology, which is being phased out. GSM's speed is like an old modem's, 38.4 kbps. But with GPRS, an enhancement technology that has been standard for a few years now, the speed is 170 kbps maximum. Like a slow broadband line a few years ago in other words, but truth to be told it's seldom faster than 40 kbps I'm told. Another technology that is not wholly standard, but widespread, is EDGE, which gives a maximum speed of 236 kbps. But what is taking over the market now, is 3G of course. UMTS (3G) gives atm a speed of 384 kbps, and will give 2 mbps at a later date according to the authorities.
            Even North American EDGE networks are faster than yours...

Maybe you guys are used to the painfully slow speed? I've no idea.

GSM is crap because it's slow. The fact that Namibia has GSM but no CDMA has no bearing on 99.9999999% of buyers.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Half of Europe's out. But yeah.
              The impoverished, unimportant half...why would you go there and bring a cell phone? You're liable to get mugged!

Comment

• It's all about 3G. In fact, there's no need to argue about it, it's simple. And futhermore, it'll be about 4G, and that will be awesome.
                In da butt.
                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

• The western and southern part? Impoverished? Unimportant? Now, I can agree with you that Norway is much more important, but still.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pekka
                    It's all about 3G. In fact, there's no need to argue about it, it's simple. And futhermore, it'll be about 4G, and that will be awesome.
                    This is marketing nonsense.

3G has been here for quite some time in CDMA land...

How do you define 3G?

EV-DO rev B will be typically 14.7MBit/sec. Is that 4G or 3G?

Comment

Even North American EDGE networks are faster than yours...

Maybe you guys are used to the painfully slow speed? I've no idea.

GSM is crap because it's slow. The fact that Namibia has GSM but no CDMA has no bearing on 99.9999999% of buyers.
                      Those speeds is what Wikipedia tells me, but they might be wrong of course. Anyway, GSM is more than enough for speaking and sending SMS and MMS, but most people don't need more than that. And 3G is coming...

Comment

Those speeds is what Wikipedia tells me, but they might be wrong of course. Anyway, GSM is more than enough for speaking and sending SMS and MMS, but most people don't need more than that. And 3G is coming...
                        This is the thing, though. 3G has been here for years. It's still "coming" on GSM networks.

By the time you guys get to 3G, CDMA will be at "4G"?

Comment

• EV-DO is 3G according to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_Di...ultiple_Access

Comment

EV-DO is 3G according to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_Di...ultiple_Access
                            Then 3G isn't "coming" -- it's been here for years.

Anyway, this is what I mean by GSM being slow. The technology is moving slower than CDMA-based technologies. The speeds are much lower.

Comment

This is the thing, though. 3G has been here for years. It's still "coming" on GSM networks.

By the time you guys get to 3G, CDMA will be at "4G"?
                              3G networks opened last year or late 2005 here in Norway IIRC. Was some fuzz about who should get the licences... All new phones except the cheapest ones have 3G by IIUC. Personally, I use my cell phone for SMS and talking, and then I am perfectly content with GSM as of now. But let's face it, 3G will take over someday, in one form or another.

Comment

3G networks opened last year or late 2005 here in Norway IIRC. Was some fuzz about who should get the licences... All new phones except the cheapest ones have 3G by IIUC. Personally, I use my cell phone for SMS and talking, and then I am perfectly content with GSM as of now. But let's face it, 3G will take over someday, in one form or another.
                                Yes, but I'm confused why we are discussing this.

3G is here, virtually every handset sold by CDMA vendors are 3G over here.

The issue isn't when is 3G coming or when will get it get popular. 3G means many things...CDMA "3G" is faster than GSM "3G". And for newer cell phones, like the iPhones and newer Blackberries and other SmartPhones, this is a big deal.

Comment

Working...
                                X