X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Apple pwnage

New iPods.

Shuffle remains the same.

Redesigned iPod Nano with widescreen for video capability, and apparently running a new graphical OS with Coverflow. $150-200 depending on capacity.

Larger capacity iPod "Classic" with new UI as well. Complete metal sheathing.

iPod Touch: like an iPhone without a phone (photos, contacts, etc.). Complete multitouch interface. WiFi with WWW browser and one click access to Youtube. WiFi iTunes store (also now on iPhone).

iPhone price cut by $200. Now costs $399.

Where's your Zune now, biatch?
    Only feebs vote.

Asher will rotate in his....I mean in Mingapulco now.
    Blah

Comment

already an iphone price cut?

I guess it didn't sell as well as they were expecting then, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
        already an iphone price cut?

I guess it didn't sell as well as they were expecting then, eh?
        How so? They are on track to pass one million in sales in the next couple of weeks. It's already outselling every other smartphone (including RIM), and it is selling comparably with LG's chocolate phone, which is the top selling phone IIRC.

$400 seems like a much better price, to tell the truth. And that is for the 8GB model.

Other than that seems like they did a good job. I don't really need any of these gadgets, as I already have an 80Gb iPod and a Shuffle (which I like the best), but I can see a lot of people shelling out for the Nano.
        Last edited by Agathon; September 5, 2007, 15:03.
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

My Discman still works fine (upgrade from the walkman).
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Re: More Apple pwnage

Originally posted by Agathon
            New iPods.

Shuffle remains the same.

Redesigned iPod Nano with widescreen for video capability, and apparently running a new graphical OS with Coverflow. $150-200 depending on capacity.

Larger capacity iPod "Classic" with new UI as well. Complete metal sheathing.

iPod Touch: like an iPhone without a phone (photos, contacts, etc.). Complete multitouch interface. WiFi with WWW browser and one click access to Youtube. WiFi iTunes store (also now on iPhone).

iPhone price cut by $200. Now costs $399.

Where's your Zune now, biatch?
            iPhone is still very expensive. It is kind of crappy, honestly.

Comment

How so? They are on track to pass one million in sales in the next couple of weeks. It's already outselling every other smartphone (including RIM), and it is selling comparably with LG's chocolate phone, which is the top selling phone IIRC.
              A $200 price cut within the first months of release is pretty dramatic.

Comment

How so?

Businesses usually you don't cut the price by 33% on an item less than three months after launch if it is selling as well as expected (and with no replacement high end model). You're basically giving up a ton of profit. I could see a November, pre xmas cut, but a sept cut after a june launch?

I will have a hearty laugh at the one person I know who has an iphone, who got it at launch for 600. Another case of the early adopter getting hosed. wait 2 months, get the phone for 200 off.

Comment

The early price cut on iPhone was predicted all the way back in January in an article on consumeraffairs.com .
                  There's a similar story (again, from Jan 07) on ZDnet.com .

Basically, the story states that Apple would harvest the buzz-generated sales early, reaping their standard high margin on hardware costs (as is typical throughout their product line). But wih so many comparably-featured music phones coming out in the near future, Apple's plan called for a more competitive price strategy to assure long-term success.

The price cut is on the 8GB version. The 4GB version is now discontinued.

It does seem like a move guarantee to anger a lot of the early adopters. Apparently, that's literally the price you pay ($200) for being first on your block to have the new toy.
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

And Iginla sucks.
                    What?

Comment

LG sells a LOT of different phones, including the one in my pocket now, as well as the chocolate phone (which we looked at). I dont to what extent they have fixed costs spread among their different lines. Similarly Nokia and Motorola have several lines.

Apple has one phone. It may well be that their sales targets involved doing FAR better than any other single phone.

Cutting their prices this soon does seem odd if all is going well. Though I dont follow this industry that closely.
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Oh lord give me strength from this kind of thread
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                          Oh lord give me strength from this kind of thread
                          Actually....

======> Tech Forum
                          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

New iPod Nano

Why a video screen that small? Just stick to making a really tiny mp3 player that has pretty good capacity.

The iPod Classic becomes a really good deal now. The Touch is overpriced and why would anyone really want a 8GB or 16GB player when the Classic has 10 times as much capacity (and in this case the "10 times as much" is not an exaggeration in the slightest).
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

How is WiFi iTunes a good thing? It's still iTunes.
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                              X