• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow that's weird

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
      I never said it's Apple's trademark.

Anyway Agathon, can I PM you about something you could help me with, perhaps, with your professional knowledge? A short question.
      Sure.

You don't need permission.
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

your inbox is full...
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Re: More Apple pwnage

Originally posted by Agathon
          Where's your Zune now, biatch?
          That's no contest. Everyone thinks the Zune sucks.
          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

Because most people don't own that much music. A lot of my students had the iPod mini when it first came out. I pointed out that 4GB wasn't much storage, but they all said that they would have trouble filling it.

If you don't buy a lot of whole albums and box sets, it's hard to get 1000 songs together. I remember reading once that the average person owns less than 40 CDs.

4 to 8 gigs is the mass market sweet spot for digital audio players. I doubt that much video will be put on these things. I know I hardly ever put video on my video iPod. You're better off with a PSP or one of Apple's touch screen devices.
            I have a decent music collection (about 500 CD's) and I have a 4 GB iPod Mini. Although 8GB would be better, I don't need to put all my music in it. I never listen to Varèse or Coltrane on my iPod
            Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
              New iPod Nano

Why a video screen that small? Just stick to making a really tiny mp3 player that has pretty good capacity.

The iPod Classic becomes a really good deal now. The Touch is overpriced and why would anyone really want a 8GB or 16GB player when the Classic has 10 times as much capacity (and in this case the "10 times as much" is not an exaggeration in the slightest).
              QFT

Comment

AFAIK the new screen has the same resolution as the iPod Classic; they've just increased the screen density. Still, I'm going to take some convincing, the new Nano's look good, but fatter. Perhaps not so easy to take running with you?
                "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                  your inbox is full...
                  Must be a bug. I emptied it the other day, and it is still emptied.
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

Is your sent box full?
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Whaleboy
                      AFAIK the new screen has the same resolution as the iPod Classic; they've just increased the screen density. Still, I'm going to take some convincing, the new Nano's look good, but fatter. Perhaps not so easy to take running with you?
                      Its wider and shorter, but I doubt it's thicker. I'll wait till I see one in person. If the reviews are good, I think I'll get the 8GB model. I currently have a 4GB Mini, but I feel a bit cramped.

Comment

Pwned!

Jobs Apologizes, Gives $100 iPhone Credit
                        By JORDAN ROBERTSON,AP
                        Posted: 2007-09-06 18:18:19
                        SAN JOSE, Calif. (Sept. 6) - Apple Inc. CEO Steve Jobs apologized and offered $100 credits Thursday to customers who shelled out $599 for the most advanced model of the iPhone, only to have the company unexpectedly slash the price $200 in a push to boost holiday sales.

In a letter on the company's Web site, Jobs acknowledged that Apple disappointed some of its customers by cutting the price of the iPhone's 8-gigabyte model and said he has received hundreds of e-mails complaining about the price cut.

But Jobs added that "the technology road is bumpy," and there will always be people who pay top dollar for the latest electronics but get angry later when the price drops.

"This is life in the technology lane," Jobs said.

Jobs' tone was less conciliatory immediately after the cuts were announced Wednesday, tartly rebuffing criticism about whether some of Apple's most die-hard fans would be miffed by the company's latest actions. In an interview with USA Today, Jobs was said iPhone owners who bought their device that morning "should go back to where they bought it and talk to them. If they bought it a month ago, well, that's what happens in technology."

Jobs then apparently had a change of heart. In his letter, he said the company is still making the right decision by lowering the iPhone price but needs to "do the right thing for our valued iPhone customers."

"(W)e need to do a better job taking care of our early iPhone customers as we aggressively go after new ones with a lower price," he said. "Our early customers trusted us, and we must live up to that trust with our actions in moments like these."

Jobs said Apple will hand out $100 credits for Apple's retail and online stores to iPhone customers who aren't eligible for a rebate. An Apple spokeswoman said the company did not have an estimate of how much the program would cost.

Customers who bought an iPhone within 14 days of the price cut can get a refund of the price difference if they have the original receipt.

The price cut - and the phaseout of the 4-gigabyte iPhone, which retailed for $499 - came less than 10 weeks after the two products hit the market June 29, angering early iPhone adopters who were startled to have their prized gadgets plummet in value.

Investors were also rattled by the news, sending Apple's shares down a total of more than 6 percent over the past two days, a drop that has wiped out about $8 billion in shareholder wealth.

Some worry that Apple is cutting the price to make up for waning demand, a concern Apple countered by saying the device is now affordable to more people and has the potential to be a blowout seller this holiday season.

Apple has said it's on track to sell 1 million iPhones by the end of the current quarter.

Apple's stock, after falling 5 percent on the news of Wednesday's announcements, fell another 1.3 percent Thursday to close at $135.01, or $1.75 lower than Wednesday's close.
                        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

All this means is that the customers willing to pay top dollar have already bought phones. With a lower price Apple can still make more profit. Also, the stock price simply reflects a small correction in expectations.
                          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                            All this means is that the customers willing to pay top dollar have already bought phones.
                            And that they're getting some of their money back.
                            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I think the price drop, which was meant to be dramatic, was very poorly thought through. Offering a $100 credit (vs. the $200 price drop) is a fairly lame way of admitting, "yeah, we screwed you over, but good."

And if Apple loses the goodwill of its early adopters, future product intros will be a tougher sell.
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
                                And if Apple loses the goodwill of its early adopters, future product intros will be a tougher sell.
                                Even though they have a $100 credit?
                                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Working...
                                X