No announcement yet.

So, where to next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rufus, you have answered your own question.

Jerusalem is the post you describe as having truly important work and acquiringing arabic must enhance your career propsects.

It loses out on safety because the middle east just is not going to become safe within the forseeable future - but you put that consideration last and would hardly be pursuing this career if you didn't.

Comment

A reasonable analysis, EST. The problem with the Jerusaleem job, though, is precisely that I'll learn Arabic -- and thus be an obvious choice for other Arabic speaking posts in the future, most of which are no fun at all. I'm agnostic on the question of whether I actually want to "enhance" my career prospects that way.

Still, Mrs. Firefly and I went over the list together today, and it's vying for the top slot (along with Sarajevo).
      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Well, good luck with it Rufus T. I hope you are succesful in the bidding round and that your next posting is satisfying.

If it turns out to be the middle east and you master arabic you will have my admiration. I am no sort of linguist.

Comment

You're blowing it.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Personally, I'd have chosen Jerusalem.
            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Working...
            X