So, where to next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, where to next?

It's that time again: time for me to tell the State Department where I want to go :desire: , and then have them tell me where I will go. Unfortunately, it looks like I won't be getting back to DC for a tour; I had wanted that, in spite of the ungodly expense, because my daughter will be starting college next year and almost certainly be somewhere on the East Coast. Also unfortunately, State guidance strongly recommends I not do three Asia tours in a row. Fortunately, however, it looks like I'll dodge all of the potential assignments I was worried about in my Hellhole thread a while ago.

So now the question is: where to next? The leading choices:

Moscow - PRO: most cosmopolitan place on the list; get to re-activate my long-buried Russian language skills. CON: Russian winters defeated Napoleon and Hitler; getting fluent in Russian means being available for other Russian-speaking posts, many of which end in -stan.

Jerusalem - PRO: being someplace where there's truly important work to be done; spending two years in language training (Arabic) first, which is a little like paid vacation and means Iraq might finally be drawn down by the time the tour ends. CON: things that go boom; having Arabic has the same drawbabck as having Russian, except with even worse choices in the hopper.

Sarajevo - PRO: Some interesting and valuable work to be done; closest of all the choices to our friends in Paris, London, and Ankara. CON: proximity aside, it's apparently unusually difficult to get out of Sarajevo and to someplace that isn't Sarajevo; do I really want to spend a year learning Bosnian?

Kiev - PRO: see Moscow, except the cosmopolitan part. CON: see Moscow, except a little less snow, but a little more radioactivity.

Lima - PRO: reasonably safe, reasonably cosmopolitan, reasonably temperate; proximity to Machu Picchu; unlike Arabic or Russian, onward choices with Spanish aren't so bad. CON: working to maintain the US-Peruvian bilateral relationship isn't exactly career-enhancing.

La Paz - PRO: Spanish (see Lima); possibly interesting work trying to keep Bolivia out of Chavez's sphere of influence. CON: um, pretty much everything else.

I'm a Libra; I can't make decisions. Choose for me!
    Moscow
    19.35%
    Jerusalem
    35.48%
    Kiev
    6.45%
    Sarajevo
    3.23%
    Lima
    16.13%
    La Paz
    3.23%
    Some other banana republic
    16.13%
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Lima
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Screw what they say, stay in asia.
      Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Probably as easy to get to London, Paris, etc from Israel as from Sarajevo. I will let the Israelis discuss the cosmopolitan aspects of life in Jer and Tel A (and yes, I realize Jer means the consulate and representation to the PA, not the embassy in TA) but I suspect in many ways it compares pretty well to Moscow (and you can STILL practice your Russian, of course)

Things have been going boom in Jerusalem a lot less since the seperation fence, IIUC, its probably as safe as most of the places you'd go.

As for learning Arabic, well obviously thats a hot language, and obviously whether you get assigned afterward to someplace relatively comfortable like Morocco, say, or to someplace in the middle of a civil war, I dont know.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
          That would add Hanoi, Vientiane, and Guangzhou to the list. But, alas, I'm not thatt much of a free agent.
          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
            No kidding.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

That would add Hanoi, Vientiane, and Guangzhou to the list. But, alas, I'm not thatt much of a free agent.
              Tell them you have an agent in Jagna Bohol and that you want to look into the activities of the KKK and MILF.

If you aren't a free agent you could just ask nicely.
              Long time member @ Apolyton
              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

What about Vegas? They have Penn & Teller!
                APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

Moscow or Kiev, no question. Russian and Ukrainian women are sooo hot.
                  Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Montreal?
                    Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Re: So, where to next?

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                      It's that time again:
                      What, already? Do you move ever 2-3 months?

Comment

And Moscow or Jerusalem ftw.

Comment

He gets thrown out of the country after 2-3 months.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                            He gets thrown out of the country after 2-3 months.

I move every couple of years, and the moves need to be planned out about a year in advance. I got to Singapore in summer 2006 and will be leaving summer 2008, so here we are.

Comment

Yeah, but I could swear we had one of these threads just a few months ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X