Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When everything that could go wrong - does

So this weekend is my gf's birthday.

Unfortunately she's in the army, currently in the middle of an officer's course, and she won't be getting out this weekend. And she is not allowed to receive visits.

I had already sneaked in a present to her dorms some time ago when she was in an earlier stage of the course, near Tel Aviv, and that worked great and she was very excited.

So I had the bright idea, that this time I will sneak in a bouquet of flowers. That way she will find the bouquet with a note from me on her bed, on her birthday.

I contacted friends within the officer's school in the
    course with her, to whom I will hand the bouquet and they will sneak it into her room. One problem solved

The problem is that the officers school is far far away in the middle of the Negev desert, taking upto 6 hours to reach. So I contacted a friend who lives in Beer Sheva, from where it takes only an hour and a half to reach the officer's school. If I get bogged down I could spend the night there. Another problem sorta-solved.

Suddenly problems began to arise:

I've come down with the flu. My nose was running like hell, my head aches and I feel like crap. The plan requires at least a day of public transport, and I don't know if I'll feel well enough to go through the entire ordeal.

Also - suddenly the train company decides to disrupt service to the Negev for an entire week of repairs. This is horrible. News agencies report that the bus services are crammed and can't stand the load. People are waiting for hours and only get on after pushing and shoving, and fighting for space.

So I decided to seek a flower delivery service. Obviously the bouquets there are overpriced - 35$ for 13 roses. I could get less than half downtown.

Then I check the delivery rate to the nearest Negev town - 42$ .

No way!

I only earn about 920$ per month of minimal wages. And I put 600$ of those in a savings account.

So I'm left with little choise.

Her birthday is on friday.
    I can make the dropoff either tommorow evening or friday early morning.
    I'm sick at home, feeling crap.
    The public transport system is impossible to handle.

I'm thinking of calling the entire thing off

Yeah not worth it.

But post a pic of your gf
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

she doesn't want me to.

Comment

I won't tell her
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

How good of a GF is she? If the answer is very good, $80 is a cheap price to pay. If she's not worth that to you, you probably shouldn't be dating her unless she's a good booty call.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
            Yeah not worth it.

But post a pic of your gf

That I call moral support
            Blah

Comment

Sirotnikov

I'm all for romantic gestures but 12 hours travelling would be a disproportionate time to invest in this even if you were feeling well.

Think of an outing she can look forward to and phone her on her birthday to say that you are sad that you can't be together but that you have fixed up a trip to wherever as soon as she gets back from the course so that you both have something to look forward to.

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                How good of a GF is she? If the answer is very good, $80 is a cheap price to pay. If she's not worth that to you, you probably shouldn't be dating her unless she's a good booty call.
                I disagree. Nobody needs to trek 12 hours across the desert with the flu, no matter how good a GF she is.

Comment

Hmm, i wasn't suggesting a 12 hour trek, I was sugesting just paying and be done with it.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Forget about it.

With that kind of money, you can buy yourself a bottle of whiskey, get some girl drunk as well and start dating her instead.

Then your GF is actually next to you, you save money and probably your flu will be gone as well.
                    In da butt.
                    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Way too much effort.
                      "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Why not have that guy who lives 1 1/2 hours away that you know well enough to crash at his house buy flowers froma local shop and travel 1 hour to get them to you girl?

Toss him a 20 spot, I'd blow 3 hours of an afternoon for a friend.
                        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                          Well I'm gonna get her something besides the flowers, which should cost around 100$. The flowers were supposed to be a small surprise.

But you have to remember that I'm not really a fully employed grownup. I earn beneath minimum wages and rely on the army and my parents to feed me.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
                            Why not have that guy who lives 1 1/2 hours away that you know well enough to crash at his house buy flowers froma local shop and travel 1 hour to get them to you girl?

Toss him a 20 spot, I'd blow 3 hours of an afternoon for a friend.
                            That "guy" is a she. A good female friend that I can go out with and crash with. Errands... is less appropriate.

Especially for my gf's birthday.

And I'm not about to ask her to travel on her own expense, and wait outside the gate of a military base to give flowers to some middleman.

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                              Hmm, i wasn't suggesting a 12 hour trek, I was sugesting just paying and be done with it.
                              Well I exaggerated a bit. It would be around 3-4 hours to get there (from TA) and then about 5-6 hours to get back to Haifa.

hmmm.

actually I didn't exaggerate

Comment

Working...
                              X