And a question about discussing religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like your problem then.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
      Sounds like your problem then.
      Relgious belief is very personal. Asking a stranger about it within minutes of meeting him is rude. If you're fine with it, then good for you. Others aren't. Rufus asked what we'd say. I answered.
      I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

Deep breaths, in, out...in, out...
        Long time member @ Apolyton
        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Get one of your friends to ask him if he goes to church, and, when he says yes, to ask him why.
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

He will just tell him.
            Long time member @ Apolyton
            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

The follow-up question was rude, full stop. Regardless of his motivation, it was far too personal a question to ask of someone he barely knew. That's why the smart-ass answers occured to me. I can easily abide religious sentiment, but cannot abide rudeness.
              He asks where you go to church, you answer you dont, he wonders why not and asks the question? Its not necessarily rude at all. 80% of americans are church-goers of some type. You're living in a foreign country, maybe you've had trouble finding the correct church. Maybe you're worried about the traffic in Singapore. One might conclude that the question was too intimate, but on its face, it isnt rude. After all, he didnt ask about what church/faith it was.

I take one look at your sig and wonder if perhaps you're over reacting to a fairly reasonable question.
              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

This reminds me of when someone printed t-shirts that gave your age, marital status, and how much money you make to wear around in China. That was rude, and the Chinese weren't too pleased about it.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
                  One might conclude that the question was too intimate, but on its face, it isnt rude.
                  Something can be rude without being patently offensive. A stranger who asks you a question that is too intimate is being rude.
                  I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Wycoff

Something can be rude without being patently offensive. A stranger who asks you a question that is too intimate is being rude.
                      Well put. I didn't find the question offensive, but I found the asking of the question, by a relative stranger, rude. I'm generously assuming that social cluelessness, rather than something more pointed, was behind the asking, but it seems to me still a rude question between only-casually-acquainted Americans.
                      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

You handled it well, Rufus. The question was perhaps a bit rude, but it also sounds like he didn't mean to be rude.

I loved your internal responses, but of course that's because I'm a terrible arrogant secular type and all that.

-Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Interesting how even the non religious treat religion differently.

"Hey, do you go to the soccer matches"
                          "No"
                          "Why not?"

is so much different than:

"Hey, do you go to Church?"
                          "No."
                          "Why not?"

IMO, it is because of the fear of being labeled a certain way...not because it is a personal decision. It is a personal decision not to go to the soccer match, is it not?

If you truly want a secular environment, then treat questions of religion in just as secular a way as you would any other question. In a secular world, they have the same weight don't they? Church and a sporting event would both be social choices made on where to spend your free time. No difference if it is truly secular. Perhaps some people do wish to attend church " to assemble with a large group of people to consume utterly improbable fiction "

It is the assumptions that you make of the questioner that are as equally incorrect as the assumptions you assume the questioner will make about you that is the problem here.

Once "secularists" learn that religion is a choice, not only similar to their choice not to practice it, but just as any other social choice, then we will see some progress.

Now...of course the opposite is true for those practicing religion. They must learn to accept the secular person's right to make this choice...just as the secular person must accept theirs.

Both sides of this argument are equally wrong in the way that they handle such things.
                          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Good points, PLATO. It would indeed be better if people were more tolerant of other people's choices. Funny, though, in my experience, the intolerance hasn't come from "secularists."

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

Well put. I didn't find the question offensive, but I found the asking of the question, by a relative stranger, rude. I'm generously assuming that social cluelessness, rather than something more pointed, was behind the asking, but it seems to me still a rude question between only-casually-acquainted Americans.
                              Is this not based upon your pre-conceived thoughts of how that person feels about religion or do you have an issue with how you feel about religion?

Would you have reacted the same way if he ha asked if you attended a secular event regularly? Would that have been so "intimate" as to have been rude?

If you are a true secularist then you should treat religion no differently than any other social choice. ....You should also demand the same of others in their interaction with you. In this case, it appears that your questioner reacted appropriately to your answer. It killed the discussion just as "I'm not a soccer fan" would to the sports question.
                              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                                Good points, PLATO. It would indeed be better if people were more tolerant of other people's choices. Funny, though, in my experience, the intolerance hasn't come from "secularists."

-Arrian
                                Oh! I definately agree! By far and away the most intolerence comes from the "religious". I am, however, noticing a growing intolerence from the secularist.

I believe that Rufus unwittingly fell pray to that (no pun intended. ) in his thoughts and assumptions.

Comment

Working...
                                X