• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good

Comment

gravity sucks
      Unbelievable!

Comment

Does this count as the fifth or the sixth seal?
        Last edited by Patroklos; August 7, 2007, 08:05.
        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Was it Avian Aggressors unleashing Biochemical Warfare?!?!?

Pigeons stressed Minn. bridge
          Dung was source of corrosion, if not factor in collapse

August 23, 2007
          BY MARTIGA LOHN
          ASSOCIATED PRESS

ST. PAUL, Minn. -- Pounded and strained by heavy traffic and weakened by missing bolts and cracking steel, the failed interstate bridge over the Mississippi River also faced a less obvious enemy: birds, specifically pigeons.

Inspectors began documenting the buildup of pigeon dung on the span near downtown Minneapolis two decades ago.

Experts say the corrosive guano deposited on the I-35W span's framework helped the steel beams rust faster.

Although investigators have yet to identify the cause of the bridge's Aug. 1 collapse, which killed at least 13 people and injured about 100, the pigeon problem is one of many factors that dogged the structure.

"There is a coating of pigeon dung on steel, with nest and heavy buildup on the inside hollow box sections," inspectors wrote in a 1987-89 report.

In 1996, screens were installed over openings in the bridge's beams to keep pigeons from nesting there, but that didn't prevent the buildup of droppings elsewhere.

Pigeons are drawn to bridges

Pigeon droppings contain ammonia and acids, said chemist Neal Langerman, an officer with the health and safety division of the American Chemical Society. If the dung isn't washed away, it dries out and turns into a concentrated salt. When water gets in and combines with the salt and ammonia, it creates small electrochemical reactions that rust the steel underneath.

"Every time you get a little bit of moisture there, you wind up having a little bit of electrochemistry occurring and you wind up with corrosion," Langerman said. "Over a long term, it might in fact cause structural weaknesses."

Langerman emphasized that he wasn't saying pigeon dung factored into the collapse of the 40-year-old bridge. "Let's let the highway transportation and safety people do their job," he said.

Keeping pigeons off bridges usually requires a multipronged strategy that can include netting to block holes and surfaces, spikes to keep pigeons from landing, and sometimes poisoning, shooting or trapping the birds, said John Hart, a Grand Rapids, Minn.-based wildlife biologist with the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

The problem is that pigeons are naturally drawn to bridges and tall buildings because the birds are descended from cliff dwellers, said Karen Purcell, who heads Project PigeonWatch at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology. Bridges offer shelter from predators and flat surfaces for nesting and roosting.

"It's a nice fit for them," Purcell said.
          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
          Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
          One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

If I understand this right, then the yanks should change their anti-terrorist efforts from crazy religious fanatics to hideous evil pigeons. Wonder if the yanky nation is prepared for such a war
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
              If I understand this right, then the yanks should change their anti-terrorist efforts from crazy religious fanatics to hideous evil pigeons. Wonder if the yanky nation is prepared for such a war
              Nah, there is a Gyro Gearloose story that shows how to scare birds away from bridges. Don't people read their classic comics anymore?
              Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
              And notifying the next of kin
              Once again...

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij

Nah, there is a Gyro Gearloose story that shows how to scare birds away from bridges. Don't people read their classic comics anymore?
                I've read AA for a decade or so back in the 60-70'es, but I can't recall that one
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat

I've read AA for a decade or so back in the 60-70'es, but I can't recall that one
                  I'll try to find the album and make a scan of the page tomorrow.

BTW, AA??
                  Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                  And notifying the next of kin
                  Once again...

Comment

Anders And -> Donald Duck

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                    X