Let's talk about the Son of Jacob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk about the Son of Jacob

Son of Jacob by his maid (what's going on there!), he founded his own Israelite Tribe of Asher though they failed to drive out the inhabitants of Phoenician towns (read ethnic cleansing) in the area of Israel that the tribe had been allotted as its 'inheritance'...

So basically God told them to invade and steal the land of other peoples, and then ethnically cleanse them of it. Nice guy.

No wonder the the Israelis have no compunction to do the same now with land that wasn't even theirs in the first place...

Discuss.
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Read the whole Old Testament. Yahweh spends half his time telling the Jews they're the most special people in the whole wide world and he just love them to bits -- and the other half telling them what worthless disappoints they are, and punishing them severly for it. And its nearly impossible to tell when he's going to be loving God, and when he's going to be angry, violent God.

You know who behaves like that? Alcoholics. Seriously.

So just think of the Jews -- or at least the Israelis -- as Adult Children of Alcoholics. it actually explains quite a bit.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Yahweh is seriously in need of good parenting classes.
      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

And anger management classes
        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Just enjoying the image of a drunken alien ordering around some primitives for a bet a couple of thousand years ago...

It's as good an explanation as anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
            And anger management classes

He can't get out of them- he admitted it after all:

Then shall he speak unto them in his wrath, and vex them in his sore displeasure.
            A neglectful parent, given to unpredictable outbursts of rage and xenophobia with genocidal tendencies.

Hmm, there goes the neighbourhood.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom
              A neglectful parent, given to unpredictable outbursts of rage and xenophobia with genocidal tendencies.
              Hardly surprising it was felt in some quarters that he needed an image makeover for the sequel.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus

Hardly surprising it was felt in some quarters that he needed an image makeover for the sequel.
                New, Yahweh Lite in the modish Cana Wine Jars !

Ideal with fish and unleavened bread, or for that surprise supper- in Emmaus or anywhere else.

Special introductory offer- the high interest Jesus Saves account.

(For Muslims this is in the brochure labelled 'Issas' )

Our Hebrew brethren have the Moses Investment Account options.

(Early redemption unavailable)

Comment

/me awaits Ming seeing this thread and closing it without looking at the content.
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                  Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

You know who behaves like that? Alcoholics. Seriously.
                    Jesus could have turned that water into anything...
                    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Theres a tradition that gentiles arent supposed to read the Torah, cause they will misinterpret and distort it. Thats one of the things traditional Jews have against Christians.

1. Midrash gives accounts of what specific sins the Canaanites had commited that the holy land needed to be cleansed of them. Note well, that when Israel sinned, the holy land was cleansed of Israel. G-d is not favoring one people, he is preserving the sanctity of a holy place.

2. Images of anger are allegorical. G-d is not a human, and attributing human emotions to him is idolatry, according to Rambam. The Torah speaks in language that its audience was capable of understanding. We are expected to understand it with the benefit of commentary.

3. Looking at the bible through the lens of modern psychology, parenting classes, etc, can be a fruitful source of discussion, when done with some sympathy for the text and the tradition.

Our Fathers' Wells: A Personal Encounter With the Myths of Genesis [Pitzele, Peter] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. Our Fathers' Wells: A Personal Encounter With the Myths of Genesis

I note that all of you are interested in talking about is G-d, and not about Asher, the biblical figure or tribe. When Christians look at the Hebrew Bible, even athiest Christians, typically the Jews disappear, and all thats left is the "old Testament God", inferior, as always, to the "new Testament God". This is an old way for Christians to read scripture.
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

But it is interesting that he chose to turn it into wine...

In fact another clue is when you drink 'the blood of Christ' in church in the form of wine - those blood/alcohol levels must be off the scale!

Comment

Nice try, so I changed the thread title but left it in the first post. but this shouldn't stop the discussion.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                            Nice try, so I changed the thread title but left it in the first post. but this shouldn't stop the discussion.
                            except there are 12 sons of Jacob.
                            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

'Let's talk about the Son of Jacob called Asher'

Comment

Working...
                              X