The Apolyton Irony...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Elok
    It is bad enough that having a DBZ avatar effectively discredits all his posts on intellectual grounds in much the same way as a Pat Buchanan avatar would discredit them on moral grounds.
    So the point is that if you don't like someone's avatar, then everyone on Apolyton should shun that person? If they like DBZ they're stupid, and if they like Pat Buchanan they're evil? Weird. Maybe an SS avatar or a Stalin avatar would make me dismiss a poster outright, but short of that I'll give people the chance to prove themselves before writing them off.

You've picked some pretty mild avatars to get all worked up about, IMO.
    I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

• I think the problem here, Elok, is that you troll so rarely that no one even notices when you're doing it.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Originally posted by Maquiladora
        I dunno if this is being worked on, but I've read these same complaints from different people (newbies in some cases) for the last two years at least.
        PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
        >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

• Watch it, Wycoff. Common sense is frowned upon.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by Lorizael
            I think the problem here, Elok, is that you troll so rarely that no one even notices when you're doing it.
            To be fair, I did sort of slide into the troll. I started off just teasing and it snowballed.
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Isn't that always the way?
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

• Ya big bully.
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Originally posted by Lorizael
                  Remember Will9...
                  Has something happened to Will?
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                  Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• He went to Maine.
                    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

• Oh, no!

Comment

• The site design issues are well worth discussing. Search engine optimization is a pretty well known quantity, and there are definitely some improvements that can and should be made. IMHO.

The comments about noob-baiting have been well documented, and there's certainly more than a little truth to it. Problem is, there haven't been even a handful of noobs around recently to see how we're doing.

As for all the navel-gazing... ZOMFG, give it a rest.
                        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• The opening page certainly needs redesign.

Also, I don't like CF that much, but honestly, if I am looking for something related to actual civ games, like new unit files, I never look on Poly, I go to CFC.

Revitalization of the on-topic boards is far more important than revitalization of the OT board, because people from from the on-topic to the off-topic, not the other way around.

And I am with Agathon - the OT has devolved into too much trolling, or troll worship, as if coming up with new insults somehow makes someone a better poster....
                          If you don't like reality, change it! me
                          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok

I believe that would break Poly's "no insulting family" rule. And raise a number of questions about how you knew that as well...

I assume you have never seen DBZ. It is bad enough that having a DBZ avatar effectively discredits all his posts on intellectual grounds in much the same way as a Pat Buchanan avatar would discredit them on moral grounds. While I often disagree with him, I don't think he's at that level, the level of the DBZ fan. For one thing, he still spells most words correctly, even if he does misuse one particular literary term. He hasn't seen the show in years, he deserves better.

More than that, however, his use of the avatar endorses DBZ. It says "DBZ is cool. DBZ is quality entertainment." And that, NYE, is a lie. It is a damnable lie. That show is scientifically proven to suck ass to an off-the-scale degree. And I'm not going to stand for it. He's free to have whatever avatar he wishes, of course, but I am also free to remind him that it's a terrible show. I've overplayed it, I acknowledge, and what I posted was meant to be my last criticism on this board. You've forced my hand.
                            You're very easy to counter-troll.

But the real question is why do you choose to troll Aahz about this in threads that have nothing to do with it?

Hero worship?
                            Last edited by notyoueither; July 15, 2007, 02:06.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand
                              i ain't going nowhere.
                              great . . . . .
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Originally posted by GePap
                                The opening page certainly needs redesign.

Also, I don't like CF that much, but honestly, if I am looking for something related to actual civ games, like new unit files, I never look on Poly, I go to CFC.

Revitalization of the on-topic boards is far more important than revitalization of the OT board, because people from from the on-topic to the off-topic, not the other way around.

And I am with Agathon - the OT has devolved into too much trolling, or troll worship, as if coming up with new insults somehow makes someone a better poster....
                                It does

Civ2 - still better to search here.
                                But...
                                I rarely go there, but I remember seeing a thread about Civ2 asking for help, at CFC, so I did help.
                                I received answer which went kind of like this:
                                thank You so much! I did post a similar thread at Apolyton and no-one's answered me! These forums are so much better!

So I actually made someone believe in the glory of CFC and nullity of Poly...
                                "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                                I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                                Middle East!

Comment

Working...
                                X