hey Germans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ecthy
    Wernazuma? You're omitting 50% of all "-ch"s.
    (or are you making a lame Sch joke?)
    "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
    "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

So It seems I was right and the ch in Kirchner is pronounced as the ch in "ich" , like the spanish "j" or at least very similar.

Now I can be pedant and correct my argentine friends whenever they pronounce the surname of their president as Kir + sh (and in she) + ner
      I need a foot massage

Comment

Well, IIRC, in the Pfalz dialect "ch" is pronounced like "sch." So "Kirche" is pronounced "Kirsch." How they tell the difference between churches and cherries I don't know.
        The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
        "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
        "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
        The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

In many German dialects the sound "ch" as "ich" does not exist. Around the Rhine, north of (say) Mainz, it is always replaced by "sh". In southern German dialects (Baden to Austria) it is usually replaced by K at the beginning of words, and "ch" as in Scottish "loch" inside. Under French influence, many German dialects abandoned the (similarly to Scottish) rolled "r" in favour of the French uvular "r" - this gives a funny effect of having the same sound first voided and then unvoiced in words like "durch" . In Dutch "Groningen" it is just the same revesred.
          Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

Are you guys aware of the difference between the "ch" in "Kuchen" (Spanish g/j) and the one in "ich"?

Unless we're talking about Chilean Spanish

Comment

Well, IIRC, in the Pfalz dialect "ch" is pronounced like "sch." So "Kirche" is pronounced "Kirsch." How they tell the difference between churches and cherries I don't know.
              If the Smurfs can do it...
              Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Working...
              X