Cheney: Office not part of executive branch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheney: Office not part of executive branch

WASHINGTON -- Dick Cheney, who has wielded extraordinary executive power as he transformed the image of the vice presidency, is asserting that his office is not actually part of the executive branch.

In a simmering dispute with the National Archives that heated up Thursday, Cheney has long maintained that he does not have to comply with an executive order on safeguarding classified information because, in fact, his office is part of the legislature.

Further, Cheney's office tried to abolish the oversight agency involved, according to a Democratic congressman.

Cheney, whose single constitutional duty is to serve as president of the Senate, holds that the vice president's office is not an "entity within the executive branch" and therefore not subject to annual reporting or periodic on-site inspections under the 1995 executive order, which was updated four years ago by President Bush.

The vice president has been refusing to cooperate with the National Archives office assigned to oversee the handling of classified data since 2003.

"We are confident that we are conducting the office properly under the law," vice presidential spokeswoman Lea Anne McBride said.

Democrats, to be sure, took the opposite view. House Oversight Committee Chairman Henry Waxman, in a letter posted on the Internet Thursday, told Cheney it was "irresponsible" to reject security oversight.

"Your office may have the worst record in the executive branch for safeguarding classified information," the California Democrat wrote.

He cited the conviction of former top Cheney aide Lewis "Scooter" Libby for lying in the investigation into who leaked the identity of a CIA operative.

Waxman said Cheney's office, in a move that "could be construed as retaliation," had tried to abolish the Information Security Oversight Office, the division of the National Archives set up to enforce safeguards for classified information in executive agencies.

Waxman said the oversight office head, William Leonard, told congressional investigators that the vice president's staff had not succeeded.

The National Archives appealed its case for oversight of Cheney's classified information practices to Attorney General Alberto Gonzales last January. Gonzales has not responded.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., when asked about Cheney's claim to be part of the legislative branch, quipped: "I always thought that he was president of this administration."

Constitutional experts were startled at the notion that the vice presidency isn't in the executive branch.

"The vice president is saying he doesn't have to follow the orders of the president," said Garrett Epps, a law professor at the University of Oregon. "That's a very interesting proposition."

Epps said the lines have not been drawn that clearly: "The vice president spans, in some ways, the branches of government."

White House spokeswoman Dana Perino brushed off questions about what branch of the government the vice president resides in, saying she doesn't know enough about the issue.

Susan Low Bloch, a constitutional professor at Georgetown University Law Center, called Cheney's position a "novel claim." Although most people think of vice presidents as executive officials, she added that it's really "a bit of a hybrid" role.

As vice president, Cheney receives his paycheck from the U.S. Senate, which also pays the salaries of much of his staff. However, he also sits in Cabinet meetings and has an office at the White House.

Cheney's lawyers have used his role as adviser to the president to fend off a lawsuit seeking the names of energy executives who advised him on an energy task force.

Paul Orfanedes, who heads litigation for Judicial Watch, a non-partisan group that joined in the lawsuit, said the vice president's claim "seems most disingenuous."

For easy refference, the United States constitution, article 2, section 1

The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America. He shall hold his Office during the Term of four Years, and, together with the Vice President, chosen for the same Term, be elected, as follows:

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

That thread is 3 days old, and on a different topic.

That is on Cheneys denials.

The topic of this, is on one specific way in which he denied to play ball, which is to be franks, insane.

Comment

I am not sure what point you were trying to make with the quoted portion of the constitution, unless it was to define the vice presidential term limit and election method.
        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Sounds like we need a Bush/Cheney sub forum. That way people don't need to wade through 3 days worth of old posts. Thats what like 20-30 threads.
          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

The gentleman in my avatar, John Adams, first VP of the US, was actually excluded from cabinet meetings by George Washington, on the ground that Adams, as VP, was part of the legislative branch, and so having him at a cabinet meeting would violate the seperation of powers. So the argument isnt THAT far fetched.

OTOH Cheney DOES attend cabinet meetings.

"Susan Low Bloch, a constitutional professor at Georgetown University Law Center, called Cheney's position a "novel claim." Although most people think of vice presidents as executive officials, she added that it's really "a bit of a hybrid" role.

As vice president, Cheney receives his paycheck from the U.S. Senate, which also pays the salaries of much of his staff. However, he also sits in Cabinet meetings and has an office at the White House."
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Susan Low Bloch, a constitutional professor at Georgetown University Law Center, called Cheney's position a "novel claim."

Obviously not so novel.

Comment

This is, obviously, the political version of calling "forcefield forever!"

doesn't work with his hunting partners, shouldn't work here
                Monkey!!!

Comment

Lightening Bolt! LIGHTENING BOLT!

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                    This is, obviously, the political version of calling "forcefield forever!"

-Arrian
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

God I'm ready for these people to go away. So, in the Dickverse, the VP is not a member of the executive branch, but gets to claim executive privilege. He does not have to follow the orders of the President, but gets to advise him while also wielding significant power in the legislative branch. As near as I can tell, this makes him the evil grand vizier that appears in every book and movie about Arabia ever made.
                      "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
                        Sounds like we need a Bush/Cheney sub forum.
                        Oerdin for moderator?
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva

Oerdin for moderator?
                          By all means.

Comment

Originally posted by Vesayen
                            That thread is 3 days old, and on a different topic.

That is on Cheneys denials.

The topic of this, is on one specific way in which he denied to play ball, which is to be franks, insane.
                            From the article posted in the thread we already have on this topic:

Cheney's office provided the information in 2001 and 2002, then stopped. Henry Waxman, chairman of the committee, said Cheney's office claims it need not comply with the executive order because it is not an "entity within the executive branch."
                            Yes, your thread is a duplicate.
                            The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi
                              As near as I can tell, this makes him the evil grand vizier that appears in every book and movie about Arabia ever made.
                              Hasn't that much been obvious since day one?

Comment

Working...
                              X