No announcement yet.

Buisnessweek: Peak oil to Dark Age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They appear to be serious about it as a commerical venture, even if it is 'misleading'.

Comment

The point is that it's going to take a lot more energy to cool 1 mile of superconducting wire to -135 degrees C than is lost to resistance along 1 mile of copper wire. To repeat, their plan was not to use superconductors as the grid backbone.

There are no economy of scale arguments for using superconductors for the backbone, because the same economies apply to copper wire.

Comment

rant post

Originally posted by Businessweek
        omg peak oil peak oil
        Welcome to the year 2005, editors of Businessweek. No, the price of oil won't double during the next 5 years. No, it won't run out within 20 years. If you were as "in" with the trends as The Economist, Businessweek, you would've already seen the counter-phrase for "peak oil", which is now "oil sands".

Originally posted by One_more_turn
        Nanosolar
        "Nano", that's a funny prefix. It seems to be the new "bio". If you want something to be hip, cool, and latest hi-tech stuff, just add "nano" before the thing you're talking about.

Back when I was browsing encyclopedias during the slow days of my life in the early 90s, the only thing "nano" meant was a prefix in the SI-system. If someone had said "nano" to me, it would've just meant that it's very small and that's it. Now "nano" means something very small which can do incredible, impossible things with the power of the word "nano" alone.

I hate it how stupid people are manipulated by these trendy but empty pre-, suffixes and phrases, it's a pet peeve of mine.

edit: I'm not angry at you, OMT, but at the guys who created Nanosolar corp.
        Last edited by RGBVideo; June 18, 2007, 14:52.

Comment

Don't be such a tool. There's lots of successful bio-, micro-, .com, etc. companies.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Don't be such a tool.

He can't help it.
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
              The point is that it's going to take a lot more energy to cool 1 mile of superconducting wire to -135 degrees C than is lost to resistance along 1 mile of copper wire. To repeat, their plan was not to use superconductors as the grid backbone.

There are no economy of scale arguments for using superconductors for the backbone, because the same economies apply to copper wire.

Comment

Re: rant post

Originally posted by VJ

Welcome to the year 2005, editors of Businessweek. No, the price of oil won't double during the next 5 years. No, it won't run out within 20 years. If you were as "in" with the trends as The Economist, Businessweek, you would've already seen the counter-phrase for "peak oil", which is now "oil sands".
                You don't really understand terms like "inelastic y" and "knock on effects", do you?

And yeah, it has the high potential of doubling if for no other reason that we have managed to well and truly screw the pooch in Middleastern politics.
                Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Originally posted by Perfection
                  Electricity generation is relatively easy. We'll be able to keep pace with demand far into the future. The big issue is portable energy for vehicular use. The solution? Big tax subsidies to those who buy electric vehicles with lessor subsidies for hybrids and plug in hybrids.
                  wtf? We aren't keeping up with demand right now. That ought to tell you what peak oil is going to look like. Supply of oil will not increase at all, and might decrease for a good amt of time. Right now its still increasing.
                  Last edited by Kidlicious; June 19, 2007, 09:11.
                  I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                  - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Impaler[WrG]
                    Nuclear power is the most expensive form of power EVER invented, its real cost is more then twice that of Wind power
                    Bulllllsshhhhhiitttttt
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

"edit: I'm not angry at you, OMT, but at the guys who created Nanosolar corp."

You don't have a freaking clue here, I'm afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by One_more_turn
                        "edit: I'm not angry at you, OMT, but at the guys who created Nanosolar corp."

You don't have a freaking clue here, I'm afraid.

It's a bull**** buzzword. That was a rant against bull**** buzzwords. Corporations which are named after only bull**** buzzwords don't tend to turn into anything. The few corporations which do take advantage of new technology don't form their names from bull**** buzzwords because they're focusing on actual production instead of fooling their shareholders.

Look, talk is cheap. How about you invest your life savings on that and come back in five years.

Oh, and ignore the kucidrakedanny-stalkers, they attack me in every single discussion they see me taking part of because I've dared to stand up for the facts in different context entirely, years ago. I don't know what tricks they're using now, but sad to see it works so well.

Comment

You really don't have a clue. I don't know about Business Week, but The Economist has never been a proponent of peak oil, never mind that they've argued oil sands are the solution to it.
                          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Working...
                          X