No announcement yet.

Buisnessweek: Peak oil to Dark Age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few superconductor cables have been built already in the US, Denmark and China. Presumably it makes sense to them.

Comment

I do believe solar and nuclear is our future. I'm skeptical about tidal.

solar for the southwest backed up by nuclear (for night time and rainy days). nuclear and natural gas everywhere else.

but we all know that won't happen. coal will be everywhere.

Comment

I'm saying there's an additional hidden cost of unknown proportions.

edit: xpost*2
        Last edited by Kuciwalker; June 17, 2007, 16:03.

Comment

All very mysterious.

Comment

If you've read any of the past thousand threads or so on energy, you'll know I'm talking about insurance...

Comment

If Nanosolar can deliver what they promise, our energy problems are solved. http://www.nanosolar.com/technology.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
                A few superconductor cables have been built already in the US, Denmark and China. Presumably it makes sense to them.
                Commercially? I'd love to see a cite on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman

Supercooled superconducting cables?

Actually, I bet they're unfeasibly expensive, or something.

You're gonna need a lot of energy just to build the cabling! And, assuming that the energy loss isn't off the chain, all it takes is some jackass to go and cut the cables which stretch out from the source hundreds of miles away to the consumer.
                  Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Originally posted by One_more_turn
                    If Nanosolar can deliver what they promise, our energy problems are solved. http://www.nanosolar.com/technology.htm
                    They are running into delays, as I understand. Mark Pinto addresses these CIGS roll-to-roll folks in his presentation that I link above. He thinks it may take longer to figure this out than hoped.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

So far no one has commented on the point. No capacity (solar, nuclear etc) currently exists for peak oil.
                      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Electricity generation is relatively easy. We'll be able to keep pace with demand far into the future. The big issue is portable energy for vehicular use. The solution? Big tax subsidies to those who buy electric vehicles with lessor subsidies for hybrids and plug in hybrids.
                        APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Commercially? I'd love to see a cite on that.
                          http://www.amsuper.com/index.cfm

It's too buried in business/technobabble to be really convincing, though.

Comment

I only see one thing on that page close to what you said: "AMSC introduces surge suppressing, high capacity superconductor power grid technology." From what I'm reading it's not designed to carry anything near the full capacity, but act as a sort of backup to route around broken wires and suppress power surges. Assuming it's not all vaporware.

Comment

Read the bit on HTS cable.

Comment

"High-temperature" is a bit misleading. The best high-temperature superconductor still has to be cooled to -135 degrees C.

Comment

Working...
                                X